...because teachers make a difference

Ever year around this time I always try to do something nice for the women at the daycare.

I usually make some sort of baked good for them to have during their coffee breaks.  Teacher gifts aren't common here, at least I don't think they are.  Maybe it's because there isn't a Starbucks around here, so the gift card trend hasn't taken off.

The truth is that no amount of baked goods can even begin to thank these women for the amazing job that they do.

I still remember the first day that we took Nathan to daycare.  How they took him in and cuddled him so that I would know he was being cared for.
Nathan's first day of daycare in 2010
I remember the first day I dropped him off and he ran with arms wide open into their arms - without even looking back at me.

I remember the first time he came home asking when he could go back to see them.  Naming them all by name.

For the past three years these women have not only taken care of my son, they have cared for my son.

They have taught him so much - perfect french, letters, numbers, colors, songs and poetry.  But they have also taught him kindness, manners and generosity.

These women have become so much more than just his teachers, in his eyes they are family.

He has so much love for them, and I see the love that they have for him.

This last week of daycare, they have told me how much they will miss him.  There have been lots of extra cuddles and it seems as if Nathan knows that the end is near.

We took presents to the daycare on Monday.  Actual presents, not baked goods - with thank you cards for his teachers.  Nathan was so excited to walk in with gifts and hand them to his teachers.

The truth is, that there is no gift that could possibly show them how grateful I am for them.  How much I appreciate the work that they do.  How much I admire them, and how much they have touched my family's hearts.

Today I am grateful.  Grateful for amazing teachers like Sylvie, Chantal, Muriel and Amandine.  Grateful for all the people who chose to make teaching their career.  You have no idea how much you touch people's lives!

Have you ever had a teacher who has made a difference in your/your child's life?
Pin It

17 comments:

doseofreality said...

Aw! Your beautiful words of gratitude for these wonderful women made me cry! I hope you told them exactly what you wrote because it was so heartfelt. (and that picture of Nathan on the first day...THOSE CHEEKS!! So cute!!)

Jessica said...

That is awesome, Barbara. It's a great experience when teachers become more than just teachers. I know I've had a few in my life who have made that transition.

Annmarie Pipa said...

oh yes!! we have had many teachers display wonderful examples of dignity and caring...good for you for conveying your appreciation...you know you made them happy!

DaniD said...

That's a beautiful post because it is so true - the people that are with your children when you cannot be need to care for your kid as if they are theirs. I'm glad you found a place like that for Nathan!!! I bet they appreciated your generosity. My belief is you can never thank people TOO much :)

Sonya said...

So sweet! It's awesome that your son has had so many great teachers in his short life:)

Blond Duck said...

Amen! Teachers have the hardest job!

Xae said...

Beautiful post. My mother is a teacher so I know they really do care for each of their students individually.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

How sweet! They will adore them I'm sure. I have been baking up a storm for the teachers. Pierce also wanted to do treats for the principal and guidance counselor. For his primary teacher, I also did one of my painted birdhouse gourds :-)

Quiana said...

What a special post! I love that you had such a caring community for Nathan. We're starting to visit open houses this weekend so we can enroll Nia in a preschool in the new year and I'm hoping we can find a special place too with such wonderful teachers. I don't have fond memories of my kindergarten teacher (she was actually kind of abusive), and I know those early memories are very important so I'll be looking extra closely at the open houses.

xtraleo said...

You are absolutely right Teachers and caretakers make a huge difference and should be celebrated and respected. Nathan, by the way, looks super adorable and much happier than my little one looked on her first day of daycare. I hate to even think about it. Visiting from SITS. Andrea @ www.be-quoted.com

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

That is so comforting to know that he's in such good hands and so happy with it there!

Kimberly said...

I love this. I was a preschool teacher and it made me so happy when a parent would acknowledge us. It's wonderful when a teacher becomes more than just that title.

Tess Moody said...

Its great when you can trust that your child is being cared for by people who seem to love him too! : )

Natalie said...

Awww I'm so glad Nathan has had such wonderful teachers in his life...that is such a blessing!

Sara Louise said...

Teachers should be paid a fortune! They are a such a vital component of a society. Without good teachers, all is lost. I'm so happy that you appreciate them too :)

Emmy said...

So so good he had such great teacher's there to help care for him and love him. And oh that picture of his first day- look at that chubby happy face!! so so adorable!!

labergerebasque said...

What a beautiful tribute for those amazing women that have doted on your son. And lovely of you to want them to know how much you appreciate their important presence in his life. Beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...