My Little Fighter

I rarely ever post on Saturday - but today is National World Preemie Awareness Day.  Something near and dear to my heart because I was/am a preemie mom.

I still remember vividly the night that I went into labor with Nathan.

It was November 6th, nearly five weeks before his december due date.  I remember the sharp shooting pain thinking this was yet another one of those "magical pregnancy moments" you hear so much about.

Thank goodness that Cornel had more common sense than I did and forced me to go to the hospital.  In reality he was really tired of me complaining about the pain.

When I got there at nearly 7cm dilated - there was no question that Nathan was going to make his appearance that night.  

The first few days were the hardest.  Being a first time mother is hard enough, but being a first time mother to a preemie is so much worse.
I still remember all those tears as I held his hand while he lay in the incubator.  The sinking feeling every single time the nurse came in with the scale to see how much weight he had gained {although he lost so much more than he gained}.  At only 2.1 kgs (4.6 pounds) he was tiny and we knew that once he dropped below two we were in the danger zone.

His little hands and feet were so bruised and swollen from all of the needles and blood tests.  It was nerve-wracking.
We stayed in the hospital for over 11 days - each one a little better than the last.  I remember the day that Nathan was able to regulate his own temperature and could finally leave the incubator.  The joy of being able to hold my tiny baby in my arms - was magical.




You would never be able to tell by looking at him now that he was ever a preemie.

Since they couldn't find any reason as to why Nathan was born so early - when I got pregnant the second time my doctors were cautious.  My doctor was afraid that I would go into labor before 36 weeks and the put me on modified bed rest.

Thanks to the amazing care of my doctor, I was able to carry Noah to 37 weeks exactly - still early but full term.

I guess both of my boys were just anxious to meet us.



Linking up with Jessica today.  For every post the March of Dimes will make a contribution.  Please stop by.  Every penny helps to make sure that all babies are born chubby, healthy, happy and full-term!


Pin It

13 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Moving out of the isolette was such a big step! So was getting to wear actual clothes. He's adorable.

Kristie said...

My sister gave birth to my nephew two months early back in March. Such a scary time for her, her husband and our family. Just reading your story brought me back to that time. I was one of the only ones that got to hold him before he came home. He will be 8 months old this week and looking at him you wouldn't know he was a preemie!

I'm glad both of your babies are doing so well now!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

I can only imagine how scary and difficult that must have been. It's hard b/c you want to protect and nurture your babies so much. I'm so glad he's a healthy and happy little boy!

Natalie said...

Thanks so much for sharing this...I know it has touched me and I'm sure it really touches those who had to go through the scariness of having a preemie. Nathan is definitely your little fighter :)

Natalie - Mommy of a Monster said...

You really can't tell how small he was until the picture of you holding his foot! What an amazing story and I'm so glad it had a happy ending...so blessed! Thank you for linking up and sharing your story!

Susan said...

I can't even begin to imagine how hard that must have been!

jeands said...

this is a very touching post, b! thank you for sharing.

jeands said...

this is a very touching post, b! thank you for sharing.

Emmy said...

I sometimes wonder if my preemie had been my first if it would have been harder or easier. I think it would have been scarier as everything is so new and yes, having a baby in the NICU makes it that much crazier and unknown-- but I was also so torn when Ryder was born- as I wanted to be there every minute with him and yet I wanted to be every minute with my other two. I really wished I could clone myself at that point.

So glad he is so wonderful and perfect now

JDaniel4's Mom said...

They must both have known how lucky they are!

The Anecdotal Baby said...

Wow, I can't imagine. We have friends who just delivered early w/their little one weighing in around 2lbs... so scary. But of course your boys were anxious to come early, they've got a pretty awesome momma ;). So glad to see he's growing like a weed!

Jessica said...

I can't imagine not being prepared for a preemie, with my pregnancies I already knew they would be born early so I was as mentally prepared as I could be. It had to be so scary to go through an early birth and have no idea what to expect. So glad you have such health (and cute) boys!

alissa apel said...

That's great that everything worked out. He's such a cutie. I love all his dark hair! I have friends that had twin early. It wasn't easy. The lives of many babies have better care today than ever before.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...