Because when you make a list...

So I decided rather spur of the moment that we would celebrate Thanksgiving.

We've only done this a couple of times while we've been here.  The first time was when my two best friends flew in from the States and I made a turkey dinner before heading down to Barcelona.

The second time was last year where we got together with the American Expat community to celebrate Thanksgiving together.

While the Americans are getting together again this year, we won't be attending. Even though we had a great time last year, the thought of trying to eat a civilized meal with an 11 month old and a 3 year old is a little to overwhelming for me.

I thought I would just ignore the holiday all together.  I mean, tomorrow is just another working day for me.

Then it hit me that these holidays are what we make them.  Just because we aren't in the US doesn't mean we can't celebrate a "real Thanksgiving".

That's why on Saturday I wrote a list of all the things I would need and sent Cornel to the store.

The list was your basic.  It included things like mushrooms, onions, potatoes and celery.  Like I said basic.

Cornel came home and started unpacking the grocery bags.  Out of the corner of my eye I spotted something odd on the counter.  Assuming he had strayed from the list I asked what he had brought home.

"That's your celery."

"What?  That is not celery!"

"Yes it is, it said so on the sign."

"I'm telling you that IS NOT celery.  And I know for sure that celery in French is celery".

We continued like this for about five minutes before Nathan interjected "this is not celery".  Smart kid.

So what did he bring home?  Well my friends, this is what is presently sitting on my kitchen counter:  Celery Root!

Any idea what I can do with this thing?

Welcome to France.
Pin It

14 comments:

The Anecdotal Baby said...

I hear ya on the civilized (or lack of) meal. We actually had our first amazing meal out last night.. And I do mean amazing. Ah, the little things. Anyhow, I have no idea about the celery root! Sorry I can't be of more help :/ Happy Thanksgiving, though!

Michelle said...

Peel the celery root, chop it into a few large pieces, and drop it in a pot of soup (chicken noodle, minestrone, anything you would normally put celery in). Fish it out before you serve the soup. It'll flavor the soup just like celery (stalks) would, but you don't want to actually eat it. Hope this helps!

I understand about Thanksgiving...we're actually not even celebrating until next weekend due to life (class, work, etc.). Kinda sad, but like you said, just because we're overseas doesn't mean we can't celebrate a "real Thanksgiving"!

Ksam said...

The most common use for it (céléri rave) in France is to grate it and mix it with a little mayo, mustard and lemon juice to make a céléri rémoulade.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

LOL! I don't think you can even buy celery root here. I've never seen it in the stores.

Words Of Deliciousness said...

I don't ever remember seeing celery root before. It is interesting to see it, I can't say that it looks very appetizing.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

Now that is about the last thing I would have thought he would get confused!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

Um yeah, most definitely NOT celery! Did you get on Pinterest to see what to do with it?

Jen said...

Hahaha!! Oh my...that most certainly doesn't look like celery. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving anyway :)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I don't have a clue as to what to do with it. I have gotten ground celery root and the store, but don't think I have ever seen this there.

Sara Louise said...

HA HA HA! That's like the time I sent my husband to the store with celery on the list and he came home with one leek!!! What is wrong with them?!

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness that is hilarious!

Emmy said...

Lol! Yea that is not celery! No idea what that is

Aja said...

Ha ha, that is definitely NOT celery, but I'm glad that now I know what celery root looks like.

Our Little Bubble said...

good stuff right there :) lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...