Apples Everywhere

First, I want to thank everyone for the amazing love I received yesterday!  My SITS Day was absolutely fantastic, I'm truly in the company of some amazing women.

Recently I signed up to start taking pastry classes in the area.  There is an actual culinary school just five minutes from my house.  While culinary school is serious business, the also offer classes on the weekends and in the evenings for beginners like me.

The past class I attended was called Jeu de Pomme, or Apple Game.  You might have already guessed that we made all things apple.

It was my first semi-professional class so I didn't know what to expect.  I showed up like a kid on the first day of school - a fresh notepad with a new pen and giddy with excitement.

When I first arrived, I was a little taken back that our Master Chef was behind the bar making small cafes {itty bitty coffees} for everyone. It isn't France without the Pause Cafe.

Then we rolled up our sleeves and got to work.  Our teacher was/is a third generation pastry chef and chocolatier so he really knew his stuff.

In addition to just reciting the recipe, he really focused on teaching proper techniques and gave us some great kitchen tips.

In four hours we were able to make flaky pastry dough, a crumbly almond dough, in addition to three different apple pies and tarts and chausson au pomme - which are like a mini apple pies.

And of course, it wouldn't be France if the class didn't end with a glass of wine.

In the past couple of weeks I've been making and re-making this stuff at home, much to chagrin of my co-workers I'm sure.

I can only hope to be able to do this if/when we move back home because I don't think I can live without my pastries!
Pin It

28 comments:

Mothering From Scratch said...

{Kathy} Ok I am officially jealous. I loved France when I visited last December. The bread, the wine, the pastries, the fabulous way the Parisian people dressed---I was in heaven. Please have a buttery croissant for me!

Kate R said...

Oh yum! Hard work having to practice and perfect these at home I'm sure :)

The Liebers said...

Those look delicious!! I would love to take a cooking class sometime!

Emmy said...

Okay mouth is watering now! And glad you had a good SITS day, I know I love your blog :)

Sarah Williamson said...

Vino in class? Sign me up!

-Sarah
http://www.sweetandsavorylife.com
http://www.facebook.com/sweetandsavorylife

Blond Duck said...

I want the mini apple pies!

Skywaitress said...

Oh my goodness they taught you how to make the pastry dough?! Heaven. I'm so impressed.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I would LOVE to take a class like that! Your food looks like art.

jeands said...

yum! these photos makes me hungry. they look so delicious. I wish we are officemates so i can taste all those.

Organized Island said...

Oh my! That looks so good! With the wine....yum!

Kat Biggie said...

OH MY GOSH those look amazing! I can point to tarte aux pommes as a very large reason behind my 15 or 20 lb weight gain when I lived in Paris!!! Can you please post recipes!!!!!!! Those look awesome!

Kat Biggie said...

Chausson aux pommes = my fave!!!

doseofreality said...

I just need to tell you it took all of my powers of self control not to try to consume my computer screen at the very first photo.
And now I'm hungry.
That looks AMAZING.
I'm a terrible cook and baker and I know it's way beyond my skills, but I salute those of you with the means to make things like that! AWESOME! (and kudos to you for taking advantage of the school so close!!)

DaniD said...

I fell in love with your blog on SITS day...I love this cake and wish you would share this recipe!

The Red Humor said...

I love to cook, but I've never had the patience to bake. I tend to be a little too liberal with over-substitution and not very diligent when it comes to technique. Pasteries are not very forgiving! Yours look delicious.

Sara Louise said...

Holy cr*p did you make those?! They look amazing!!!

Ginny Marie said...

Those pastries look fabulous! I'm so impressed! And what a great opportunity to take a class like that! I'm just trying to master my mom's pie crust recipe, but I have a heavy hand when it comes to pastry. ;)

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Oh my! Delicious!

Kayla @ TheEclecticElement said...

You might be a beginner, but by those pictures, you really couldn't tell! Everything you created looks so professional and beautiful; almost too beautiful to eat!

....Almost ;)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

How fantastic you are taking advantage of this! The baking gene is not in me, but if it were, I would really be focusing on figuring out how to make those amazons almond croissants! While in England, I've decided to take painting classes (watercolor) so I can figure out how to capture the beautiful countryside in a medium other than photography - I getting ready to start my next term :) Yay!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Ha! ''Amazing", not amazon. Gotta love auto-corrections!

Simply Summer said...

What a great and amazing experience for you! I would love to travel to Europe, but I told my husband I probably woudln't come home if I did! Congrats on your great SITS day!

www.simply-summer.com

Susan said...

OMG! Everything looks amazing.
My SIL's brother and his wife attended a macaron baking class in Paris I just found out! Jealous.

Our Little Bubble said...

how cool! I can't wait to check out this SITS thing :) thanks for sharing!

homejobsbymom said...

These sounds so yummy!! I so wanted to go to an apple orchard this year and make something like those but we never got to. Maybe next year.

Blond Duck said...

I would love to go to an orchard!

Natalie said...

I seriously could eat this for lunch...yummy!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

That looks delicious! I think you need to send some here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...