Welcome to France - Les Greves

The French are known for their ability to strike.  It is part of their rights given to them by the government and boy do they love to take advantage.

Let us not forget when the National French Soccer Team went on strike during the World Cup in 2010.

While I completely respect their right to strike for whatever it is that they seem to be pissed off with at any given moment, it never ceases to be a pain in my derriere.


There was the wonderful time when a strike left me completely stranded with a 6 month old at an airport for over 10 hours! 

Then there was the time when my friends were stranded in Paris and couldn't get out.

The list could go on and on.

Even though they are known for their strikes, there actually hasn't been one in quite a while (at least none that have affected me, which is why it has probably gone unnoticed).

So imagine my surprise when I got an email this week for a Préavis de Grève - a strike warning.  A strike warning from the boys' daycare no less.


This of course sent me into a tizzy.  Cornel and I had to have the conversation about whose stuff was more important (he won) to see who could stay home with the boys. Vive la France!

In the end, the daycare ended up making accommodations for some children whose parents both work so Nathan and Noah will be going half a day. 

So while I respect their right to strike - I really wish it would stop being such a pain!  From what I hear the strike "season" is far from over so something tells me I'll be spending a lot more time at home.

Welcome to France.

Linking up with Shell
Pin It

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

Ah yes...I remember this well. The metro strikes were always the *cough cough* best....

Natalie said...

Man oh man that is no good! That really puts you in a pickle!!

Hello! I'm Kate. said...

WOW, I've never been a situation like that, but a close friend of mine lived in Berlin & she said that happened to them & they had their passports taken as a part of the strike. So, they couldn't leave, for weeks.

Hope it all goes smoothly! And good luck to you!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Oh no! That would be frustrating.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

I can't even imagine how stressful something like this must be!

Anonymous said...

Magnificent! (As usual. :-P )

Blond Duck said...

So they just pitch a fit for no reason? Sounds like they should be in daycare!

Stasha said...

But if you are a school kid strikes rock ;) It is very frustrating, I know.

Sara Louise said...

There were some strikes in Marseille the other day. I have no idea what they were going on about. And you know once December rolls around, SCNF will strike as usually, stranding thousands of TGV passengers. Heaven forbid they actually let a holiday season go uninterrupted.

Emmy said...

Wow that would be annoying. But it must obviously work for everyone as they keep doing it

Kim said...

That would be awful if my daycare went on strike! Around here it's mostly teachers and auto workers.

Shell said...

Oh, yikes! I don't think I've ever heard of a daycare striking!

joleneybean said...

Ok - so I just finished reading Bringing up BeBe, so I am so interested in your post today. Are your son's at a creche? And what are the workers striking for? I hope things get back to normal soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...