Then & Now

This month will mark the 4 1/2 year mark since I made the big move to France.

It's funny because now my life is clearly divided into before France and after France - there is no in-between.  I never could have imagined how much my life would change just by deciding to live an adventure abroad - how much I would change.


Before France:

* Home was always where my parents were.  No matter how much I travelled or moved - I thought I had a concept of home.

* I considered any restaurant where I could order a salmon steak fancy.

* I had no idea that good wine didn't have to cost a fortune.

* I could go from a late night with friends to the airport/to the office without even feeling tired.

* I took for granted all of the advantages of living in the United States.

After France:

* I have experienced more languages and cultures than I could have ever imagined - friends come in every size, shape and color.

* I have learned that home is not only wherever my children and husband are, but that we don't need thousands of square feet to live comfortably.

* There is a joy in trying something you have never tried before.

* Intelligence doesn't just come from books and that knowing multiple languages opens up a world of possibilities.

* A country that is not my own will forever be home to my children and that they will carry a rich culture, not in their blood but in their hearts.






Pin It

18 comments:

Emmy said...

You even look more French in the second picture :)

Glad it has been a good experience for you. How long do you think you will be there or is this long term?

Clarinda @ Enjoying the Course said...

I love how you've discovered you don't need a big place to live comfortably.

Jen said...

Wow! Those first two pics are awesome! What beautiful scenery!
I can't imagine living in a different country; all of the things you've gotten to experience, the different people you've met. Glad you can soak it all in and appreciate it :)

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits said...

Beautiful! I love France!

SouthMainMuse said...

My grad school roommate worked in and LOVED France. You certainly look like it agrees with you. "we don't need thousands of square feet to live comfortably." I agree 100 percent with this. Something I've learned in older age.

Kimberly said...

My favorite? "Don't need thousands of square feet to live comfortably." I can so relate and agree with this. I have to admit though, I am a bit jealous that you get to live in France. I have always wanted to visit there!

jesterqueen said...

You TOTALLY ought to hook this up with Galit Breen's memories captured meme! The picture at the top is perfect memories captured material!

Marie said...

How wonderful! I love to read about people parenting small people while living abroad. My hubby and I met while we were living in Japan (he's British), but we didn't have children at the time. We spent a week in Paris back in 2001, when our oldest was four years old, and had a fantastic time!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What an experience! I confess I wish I could give it a try - particularly in France :-)

Susan said...

SO amazing! I am envious of your adventure. I bet you will be forever grateful that you did it.
Bisous! xo

Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms said...

This is so romantic and exciting. I love how France will be where your children are from. The beret in the second photo is so cute.

Ellen

Sara Louise said...

Discovering that good wine doesn't have to break the bank, has definitely been one of the best perks of living in France! :)

Weather Anchor Mama said...

Wow! Living in France sounds amazing! Wish I could go. Thanks so much for stopping by and wishing me a happy sits day!

jeands said...

i know i've said it already that I'm jealous you living in france but I'll say it again, I'm jealous you living in france! :D and girl, you look like a french women already. france is really treating you well.

Natalie said...

Emmy is right...you do look French in the second photo...and what memories your boys will have by living in France. I'm jealous!

Lisa Nolan @ Life Happens said...

What an exciting life! (I love French language.. and my brief time in France!) I look forward to following your blog and seeing what adventures await you and your family! (It's great to do a link up such as Monday Listicles and meet other moms and writers!)

Stasha said...

This is lovely. Home is such a subjective thing, every stage of our life it represents something different. Love how France will forever be our boys home. Oh, where life takes us...

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

Love this. I think living abroad and exploring other cultures definitely makes you a better person and able to appreciate the wide differences in people. And makes you realize who you really can be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...