Alternative

I knew that it was bound to happen.  Within just one week of starting daycare, Noah was sick.  I wasn't surprised.  We experienced this downward spiral with Nathan.  I was just hoping that it would take longer than a week.

The diagnosis:  Bronchitis.

The poor kid was miserable.  He had a terrible cough that would keep him up at night and his eyes were red and watery.

We took him to the doctor who could do nothing for us, since this was viral.  He did however refer us to a kine-therapist (or physiotherapist in English) to do sessions of breathing treatments (which I later found out was called Chest Physiotherapy).

If you have never heard of this before.  It is truly insane.  The therapist basically pounds down on the baby's thorax to break up the mucus in the lungs.  The pounding is so heavy, however, that you feel like your baby is going to snap in half.

It is truly one of the most horrific things I have ever seen.  I had to turn away and finally leave the room.  When the session was done, Noah was borderline blue and completely limp from the session.

I seriously could not comprehend how one earth that could possibly be helping him.  Yet, here we are 7 sessions in and we can definitely see some improvements.  He is breathing much better and his lungs are clear.  He is sleeping through the night again and he is back to his happy go lucky self.

I know that these sessions defenitley helped him get rid of the things he couldn't get rid of himself.  I am truly grateful that our pediatrician referred us rather than loading up Noah with drugs that wouldn't have done him any good.

I, however, will refrain from participating in any future sessions because my emotional well being cannot handle it.  Luckily he is at an age where he won't remember a thing.

Doesn't he look cute waiting for session?



Pin It

24 comments:

Adrienne said...

These treatments HELPED my kids SO MUCH! And, no....they don't remember them!! I had never heard of anything like it, and I had a French Pediatrician who happened to have been trained in the states - so he had an interesting balance/mix in his perspective on treatment. And this he was very enthusiastic about! It's so hard to watch them go through sickness, let alone treatment that's tough to take...I'm so glad it's helping and he's on his way to feeling better!

The Anecdotal Baby said...

Oh wow, momma. I would've been yelling at the therapist something like "Do you know what you're doing?" as my emotional well being, too, couldn't have handled what you describe. BUT I'm so glad it's helping your little cutie! Hang in there!

Amanda said...

Wow, that WOULD be tough to watch on someone else's baby, let alone your own! I'm glad it's helping. Does he cry during the sessions?
I know that parents have to do this for kids with Cystic Fibrosis, so I'm sure it's safe, but it can't be easy!

vinobaby said...

Poor little guy. Hope he feels better soon!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Poor poor baby! I don't think I could've watched either. Hope he's totally well soon!

Liene said...

Poor thing! I know the first time I saw a dr. flush my son's sinuses (squirting water up the nose) I was speechless... Can't imagine having to watch this, how different from the treatments in the US!

Our Little Bubble said...

Awe poor little guy! Glad he's on the upswing :)

Our Little Bubble said...

Awe poor little guy! Glad he's on the upswing :)

jeands said...

Awww.. I hope he feels better soon B! It must be terrible to watched him go through like that.

labergerebasque said...

He IS BEAUTIFUL!

janie said...

praying that he feels better soon! glad that he looks happy still despite the his illness.

Kimberly said...

I don't think I could have watched that either. Poor thing! I hope he feels better soon!

Jessica said...

Poor little guy, so glad he is starting to feel better though and glad you are making it through okay.

Cam said...

that sounds terrifying! i couldn't watch either. Glad the little guy is feeling better. He's too cute for all that drama! :)

SisterSister said...

He is a darling. I would have to duck out on the appt myself...poor little guy..glad he's feeling better :)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I am so sorry he got sick! The treatments don't like they have dampened his spirits!

Shellsea said...

I feel for you= that cannot be easy. Good wishes and thought with Noah to recover quickly!

Emmy said...

I have never heard of such a thing and would totally be freaking out! Glad it is helping and hope he gets fully better soon

Jessica said...

I don't think I would be able to watch my kids go through one of those sessions. I would freak out.

Elena said...

I'm sure that was so tough to watch - I'd have to have left as well. Glad he's feeling better now! It is crazy sometimes what different alternative therapies can do for our kids.

Susan Liberatore said...

O
M
G
That sounds awful and hard to watch for a mother. So glad to hear sweet Noah is on the mend!
Those early weeks in daycare...I rememeber, one illness after another.

Nieves said...

Poor Noah, I hope he is already fine and healthy. By the way, he is so big and cute now! Kisses and hugs for you and your sweet boys,

Kiddothings said...

Oh my, I wouldn't have been able to endure those sessions either. Glad to know they helped!

Kim said...

Sheesh, I've never heard of this - not surprising since North America rarely passes on any medicine/therapy that might seem controversial. Bronchitis is scary, glad to hear he's doing better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...