Twenty-five Words

My husband read the other day that by the age of two a toddler should be able to say at least 25 words.  If a child knows less than 25 words this is typically a warning sign that something could be wrong.

Of course this sent my husband in a tizzy and he began keeping track of all of Nathan's words.  What we discovered is that Nathan knows a lot more than 25 words but sadly his vocabulary is not something to be proud of.

Since we don't speak a word of French at home, all of his French vocabulary came from daycare.  This leads me to wonder what kind of joint they are running over there.

Some of the doozies of Nathan's vocabulary include:

Bouge les fesses - the french equivalent of "move your ass"

Tu est un coquin - you're a smart ass

Not this one - said whenever he disagrees with any of our choices be it dinner, choice of TV program or clothing

What happened? - usually said when a mystery occurs, like how did the stuffing of the throw pillows end up all over the floor?  What happened indeed!

Pleure pas bebe - "don't cry baby".  This is usually directed at his baby brother while throwing some sort of toy in his crib.

I help you - which really means "help me" in Nathan speak.  "mama help you brush teeth" means "mama please help me brush my teeth"

C'est chaude - It's hot.  Said whenever steam comes out of anything.  Also used to refer to my coffee cup.

La Seine - his favorite song at the moment sang by Mrs. Johnny Depp (aka Vanessa Paradis).  Who knew that I listened to the French radio that often.

Tatan (Nathan) okay - usually said after some sort of acrobatic maneuver off of the couch.

So while he definitely knows more than 25 words, we are going to have to work on the type of words he is allowed to say in public.
Pin It

27 comments:

Natalie said...

I am always worried about this! I'm afraid Nolan will only absorb the words/phrases he doesn't need to say in public!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

Those first 2 phrases crack me up! I keep saying we're going to have to start watching what we say b/c Donut is picking up a few words here and there.

Liz said...

Uh oh! The "move your ass" and "smart ass" are probably not the phrases you were hoping to hear!

Mark said...

I just called CPS but they said that France is out of their jurisdiction. I tried!
m.

Liene said...

Also, research shows that children who are exposed to more than one language can take longer to talk, but it sounds like Nathan has the best of both worlds, the English and the French!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

They certainly do pick things up fast. Pierce came home saying "I'm sexy and I know it" the other day. It's a pop song right now, but he doesn't listen to it - rather he picked this up from an older boy who was saying this on the bus. So we're working on alternatives that are okay to say. Like "I'm silly and I know it".

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I used the word booger with JDaniel and the other moms in playgroup that it was terrible.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

The first two probably would be in my own silent vocabulary, but yep, I wouldn't be enthused if it was in my toddler's speak. ;)

Cam | Bibs and Baubles said...

ha!! i'm with you, what the heck is going on at day care. LOL! seriously, sounds like he's right on track to me.

Carole said...

Loved this post. Keep up the good work! Bonne chance

Jen said...

Hahaha!! You guys are doing fine! I love this...kids say the darndest things ;)

Jessica said...

I'm just going to say that his words are better than what my toddler says. But I won't give out any more info than that.

Kiddothings said...

Hahah!! Just picturing Nathan saying those first 2 is hilarious! You had better check on that daycare of his ;)

Missy | Literal Mom said...

I love that he calls himself Tatin! So cute!

Helene said...

Sounds like he's doing just fine!! I'm impressed that he can speak french, even if it's mainly to tell someone to move their ass.

momto8 said...

hahaa..he knows way more than you think!!!
i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Amanda said...

As a speech therapist, I usually tell families that by around 20-26 months, your child should have about 50 words in their vocabulary and be starting to combine two words into short phrases, like "Hi, Mommy," or "My shoe." It sounds like Nathan is definitely there - and then some! :)

Stasha said...

I know I shouldn't but I am LOLing here big time.

Michelle said...

Nice! Lane says "ep mee" for "help me" or "help you." Looks like she and Nathan have opposites going!

Jenny said...

It is amazing what they pick up at school or daycare!

Will has said a curse word before and knows it is wrong. Now he asks me about certain words, if they are bad and if he can say it. He's new favorite is "ah shucks!"

Jessica said...

Sorry, if I laughed, but this is really quite a funny list. It does sound like he is doing quite well with both his languages.

Emmy said...

Yes- the move your ass would be a little worrisome to me too. Question is did that come from another kid or the teacher?

My almost two year old doesn't talk a ton- but I can tell her is learning new things all of the time so I don't worry about it too much- or at least try not to

Adrienne said...

Sounds like he's got a great vocab! :) Love the "move your ass" one. LOL

Shellsea said...

This was so funny. What a great vocab. Our pediatrician said the same thing and had me worried but Little C had a lot more words than I realized. He says "Where did it go" whenever he throws something.

tracy@sellabitmum said...

LOL so funny!

Alison@Mama Wants This said...

Hahaha move your ass is hilarious!

Kim said...

Isn't amazing what they retain?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...