The Crepe Holiday

Today is "La Chanadaleur" in France, or Candlemas.  Like most holidays in France it is of course tied to religion.  Today is the "Feast of the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple."

The best part of "La Chandaleur", at least here in France, is that the day is celebrated with crepes!  Tradition is that the crepes have to be eaten after 8pm and if the person can flip the crepe in the pan, good luck with come to the family for the entire year.

And here is something interesting I learned in France, crepes are always sweet and for dessert; the savory ones with cheese and hams are called galettes.

Cute, right?

Well, I couldn't wait until the evening to celebrate such a delicious holiday and so I set out to make crepes early this morning.

Now, I have tried to make crepes from scrap.  The recipe is super simple but like with all simple recipes they never turn out right for me.  I think the problem is that I'm supposed to let the batter rest for about a half an hour in the fridge and I want instant gratification.  Who has time to let the batter set?

So while all of the French who read this will scoff, I use this beauty:


Crepe Mix!  I will never find a cake mix in France, but a crepe mix - no problem!  Add milk and butter and voila - Instant crepes.  No waiting!  But for you purists, I have included the traditional recipe below.

So in about fifteen minutes I had whipped up the crepes and all that was left was filling them and eating them (definitely the best part)!



My favorite is always Nutella, because well, Nutella goes with everything right?  But because I was making these for Nathan too, I added banana to the the Nutella because fruit is healthy.

I also filled them with confiture (jam) and cream cheese (because Nathan is obsessed with cream cheese).

After snacking on one (or three) I made a little plate for Nathan to enjoy.  I even added a little French flag for fun.



Needless to say, they were a hit!


And now as promised, the recipe!


Crepes


1 cup of flour
2 eggs
2 cups of milk
2 Tbs melted butter
1 pinch of salt
2 tsp of sugar (optional for sweeter crepes)

In a small bowl beat whisk the eggs.  Then add in the flour.

Slowly add the milk to the flour and egg mixture.

Finally add the butter and salt (and sugar if desired).  Mix until everything is incorporated.

Refrigerate the mixture for at least half an hour.

Heat a skillet and lightly butter.  Ladle some batter onto the hot skillet making sure to cover the bottom.  After a few minutes, flip the crepe until golden on both sides.

Fill with your desired fillings and enjoy!


Let's BEE Friends
Pin It

16 comments:

Liene said...

Bon appetit! We're having crêpes for dinner... How can you not eat them today, when it's a national holiday!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

Those look good!! I remember our high school French teacher would bring her crepe maker to class and we'd have crepes every now and then. I still like them. Especially with Nutella!

Ali - My Suitcase Full of Tricks said...

Holy Crepe! (sorry, couldn't help myself) - I love crepes and have never made them. I'm more of a savory kind of girl. I don't think I've ever seen crepe mix here, but I also haven't looked. Now I'm on a mission!

Susan said...

Yum!
There are few things in the world that I like more than crepes. My kind of holiday!

Natalie said...

That sounds like an awesome holiday---sign me up! :)

Jen said...

Those look awesome! Especially with Nutella ;)

Mark said...

Just look at his face! He's so "cheeky"!
If you don't mind, I'm not going to bother with your recipe. I'll just have my French chef whip us up some.
m.

Emmy said...

Oh I love crepes! And I think I might have to start celebrating that so I will have a good reason to make some crepes.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

He looks so happy with his crepes! I love them savory and sweet. My grandmere used to make them.

Sara Louise said...

The flag is a nice touch :-)

Kim said...

OH my gosh what an adorable little chocolate face. And also, you're killing me over here. I'm trying not to think about the deliciousness of such things.

Elle The Heiress said...

I have to say, it sounds like the French have much more delicious holidays than Americans.

THE SARCASM GODDESS said...

Oh yum! I looooove crepes.

Amber H-B said...

I totally missed out on this holiday! Thanks for the recipe - maybe I can make up for it this weekend!

Jessica said...

Oh, I love crepes!!!

Cam | Bibs and Baubles said...

too cute! I had my first crepes in Paris. Couldn't believe something that seemed so simple was so good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...