Color my Heart Happy

The past couple of weeks have been rough around here.  Last week Nathan brought home a virus from daycare and graciously shared it with the rest of the household.  He is nothing if not generous.

This meant days of us staying at home trying to recover.  And let me tell you, recovering with a two year old suffering from cabin-fever and a newborn who needs constant attention sucks!

There was very little sleep; a lot of screaming (not all from me) and maybe some crying (again, not all from me).

I was desperate and needed a way to keep my two year old busy.

I am not much for indoor activities and I don't do well with arts and crafts (that is why I pay an arm and a leg for daycare, remember?).

In a fit of hysteria, I took out some red construction paper that I had left over and began cutting hearts.  I have to admit that I haven't cut paper hearts since I was in middle school.  Considering how much time has passed, I thought they looked pretty good.

When I used up the red construction paper, I took to the white printer paper and continued the heart madness.

I then set Nathan up at his table, gave him crayons and markers and let him go to town.  He recognizes the shape so he was so excited to see hearts, although he says it more like "haaarrrss".


He colored away for at least 20 minutes.  A lifetime in toddler time.



After he was done, I took out the tape and placed it on the back of the hearts.

He then had another good 15 minutes of arranging and rearranging them on the doors.

Cute right?

He quickly lost interest, but now these gorgeous hearts decorate our house for Valentine's Day.  What's more is that I got more than a half an hour of "mom" time.

It was a win-win!

Half of us are still suffering from the virus, but luckily Nathan went back to daycare where they occupy his time much better than with paper hearts!

How do you decorate for Valentine's Day?  Or better yet, how do you occupy your toddler when confined indoors?


Pin It

21 comments:

The Brennan Family said...

It is so hard to keep Austin occupied when we are stuck indoors. We have been doing a lot of play-doh, dance parties, coloring, and painting lately. I made him a set of binoculars the other day out of empty toilet paper rolls, and we went on a hunt for things around the house. Yesterday I got a roll of masking tape and made a little road on our floors for him to drive his cars on. Hope you guys start feeling better!!

Kim said...

It's so great to find something (ANYTHING!!) that will preoccupy them for even 20 minutes. I love the hearts.

Stasha said...

He is so cute! Anything that appears messy will appeal to toddlers, right?

Quiana said...

What a great idea! Sometimes we just have to get innovative, right? Being in our new place Nia's just excited to have her own room with a door and space to roam about. The magnetic letters are keeping her busy now but I'm in a boot and can't take her out anywhere until my injury's all healed up. We're not decorating for Valentine's Day but I may have to break out a new project or two in the even we get stir crazy before spring supposedly gets here in 6 weeks (according to mr. groundhog!).

vinobaby said...

Cute! And I am terrified of crafts, too {shhhh}.

Mark said...

I think raising toddlers is when I started drinking heavily. I would love to be a crafty person but I don't have the will power or the energy to do it. Not to mention the lack of skill.
Sorry your kid brings viruses home. Just be happy that Cornel doesn't bring home strange diseases.
m.

Adrienne said...

As 'crafty' as I am, I didn't really do a whole lot of it with my kids! I remember tons of coloring...and stickers...but not lots of mommy directed craft activities! My best bets were always videos and games (matching games, puzzles, blocks)...Hope you all get to feeling ALL better quickly! Glad N is back off to day care ~

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

How simple and cute! I'm glad that you found a little something for him to enjoy for a while. :)

AudreyO said...

I am soooooo not an artsy person at all. One thing I did when my kids were young was to let them string stuff on fishing line. I had girls so they made a ton of necklaces and stuff...but I wonder if a boy might enjoy stringing cheerios or something?

Natalie said...

At least Nathan is old enough to do crafts...Nolan is still too young and I find myself wondering what am I going to do to entertain you? Hope your household is feeling better...I know that must be stressful with a newborn and a toddler!

Jessica {Team Rasler} said...

So glad you bought yourself some time. The crafts thing is hit or miss (it's why I pay for preschool!) because often I pull everything out and they're interested for five seconds. So on homebound days, I tend to pull out whatever toys I've squirreled away in the closets and fresh batteries go into whatever has died.

Missy said...

Those were the hardest times. When they are really sick, it's totally easy, but when they're only kind of sick, but you can't leave the house and you can't let them watch TV anymore, it's hard. But you handled this 1/2 hour wonderfully!

Stephanie said...

Playdough!! So worth the clean up time :)

Katharine said...

Do me a favor and look at this website and tell me if you even thing her ideas are doable? She really preaches on letting kids do their own thing, and not entertaining them, but do you think that's realistic in real life? http://www.janetlansbury.com/

Heidi / I'm with Leia said...

oh sweetie it's horrible with a sick kid in the house - we've had some colds going here - so boring for me since I can't have anyone visiting but luckily he's over the snotty nose - yeah!

Ps no valentine here - not that normal in Denmark and my husband is not a fan of forced romance but luckily I get some romance almost everyday :)

Elena said...

So sorry this virus attacked your house! It's never fun when we're sick - but when the kids are, I always think it's even worse. The hearts are adorable. And yes, your cutting skills are still pretty good. ;)

Helene said...

What a great idea! And it was so simple! The fact that he stayed busy for an entire 30 minutes is awesome!!!!

Hope you're all feeling better soon!

Amanda said...

Great idea! (I'm totally going to steal it.) :)

Jessica said...

I busted out the coloring supplies too the other day for my toddler. But, I only gave her crayons because markers she likes to use on her face.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Sounds like you are becoming a crafting mom! Great idea!

Susan said...

You are so good. Ava gets to color every day. That is the extent of my "craftiness".
I'm finding it tough to entertain her indoors too. Can't wait for warmer weather!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...