Sticking With It

I think I've already mentioned that I don't tend to make too many New Year Resolutions.  That doesn't mean that there aren't things that I need to do differently.  Quite the opposite actually.

Like many of you, I too need to work out more; eat better; and make positive changes.  The difficult part is always trying to stick with it.  There are always so many other things to take priority that these just seem to fall to the wayside. And isn't always hard to chose between the salad and those yummy fries?

So this year I've decided to change the way I approach my resolutions to help me stick with them.

1.  Set realistic expectations.  Why set myself up for disappointment before I even begin.  Giving up chocolate completely might be impossible for me but I can definitely cut back on my weekly consumption. It's all about baby steps, right?

2. Don't do it alone.  I know how hard it is to want to eat better when no one else in my family is doing it.  Here I am munching on a carrot stick while my husband is enjoying a nice baked potato with all the trimmings.

So rather than cracking to temptation, I get the family involved.  We take the kids to the park to enjoy a nice game of family football.  It's much easier to stick to it if the family gets involved plus who couldn't use some more quality family time?

3.  Set some dedicated time.  Life always gets in the way, doesn't it.  Work meetings come up, kids get sick and it's so easy to pretend we didn't make those resolutions.  So it's easy to schedule a weekly aerobics class with a friend (see #2) so that I always know what days a week I will be working out. Plus if you're like me, you feel too guilty to call up that friend to say you don't feel like going.

4. Re-evaluate and Recommit.  I have to remember why I made the resolution to begin with.  Was it to lose a few pounds, or to make a lifestyle change? It shouldn't just be a resolution I make at the beginning of each January. I make the resolution at the beginning of every day, every week or every month.  What sounded good in theory at the beginning of the year while on a holiday coma might not be realistic in June.

5.  Reward myself for a job well done.  It's part of our human nature, isn't it?  To be rewarded for working hard?  Why shouldn't I reward myself for a job well done?  If I kept up with my resolutions all week, I deserve that hard earned glass of wine, right?  Or maybe just a trip to the movies - without the kids.

What are some of the resolutions you made this year?  How are you making sure to keep them?

Be sure to vista BlogHer for more ideas on how to keep your New Year's Resolutions.  While you are there be sure to enter their Life Well Lives Sweepstakes!



Pin It

15 comments:

Ali - My Suitcase Full of Tricks said...

You can do it! I actually only made one resolution this year. I'm sticking with it so far!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

You are so right about it being more than difficult when the rest of the family is eating differently!

Shellsea said...

I think rewarding yourself for a job well done is one of the most important parts.

Kim said...

And you of all people need to go easy on yourself since you just began this journey of mother to two. I love your list - reminding us to be realistic and forgive ourselves when we go astray.

Adrienne said...

Real expectation are so important! Sometimes I think we set ourselves up for disappointment.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Great plan! I tend to overdo it with my goals, but this year I'm also trying to be more realistic with what I can actually do.

Good luck with your goals!!!

Stasha said...

I might have to print this and refer to it daily. Because so far I keep rewarding my bad behavior with cupcakes...

Nieves said...

Do you know something Barbara? This year I have decided I will not make any resolution at all, just because I never get stick to them, so I have decided to have a gap year resolution! But in spite of it I strongly encourage you with your good resolutions list! Come on Barbara, you can do it! jejeje..... Un beso muy fuerte amiga,

Emmy said...

I gotta admit I haven't even made anything close to resolutions this year- it is on my list of things to do ;) woops. But yes, loved your tips

Katharine said...

I am so bad at sticking with anything even resembling a resolution that I just skipped over it this year. The only thing I can ever stick with are the resolutions I make during Lent. I think its the added in guilt that makes those really stick. Good luck with yours!

Missy said...

Setting the right expectation has been a huge help to me with happiness and satisfaction.

Natalie said...

That's the best way to do it...to make them realistic. I think 2012 will be a great year for you!

Kimberly said...

You can do it! I didn't make a resolution, but rather made a plan to change some things. It gave me a fresh start and so far it's working!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I don't make resolutions, but I do make goals for the year. I set some running goals for myself, and hopefully if I can avoid injury I will meet them! :-)

I so enjoyed your post over at JDaniel4sMom's place!

Jessica said...

I am impressed you are making resolutions for how you will complete resolutions :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...