Bonne Annee

I never make resolutions.  There is something about setting goals that I don't accomplish and feeling like a failure every December 31st when I realized how little I actually did.  I also think that the less I expect from a year, the better the year becomes.  There is very little disappointment when you just let life happen and enjoy the moments for what they are.

Last year, we set up some general goals, like getting our bathroom renovated.  Luckily for all of us, that one came true.

Since I don't make resolutions however, I thought the idea of writing down all of the resolutions I don't plan on keeping would make me feel a lot better about myself.  My top 10 would have to be...

10.  Exercise more.  I used to run everyday.  Then I had a baby and got lazy and stopped.  I never picked it up again.  I would love to someday, but I think perma-laziness has set in.

9.  Eat better.  I actually eat pretty healthy already but I could never give up my guilty pleasures - such as chocolate croissants or diet coke.  Life is much better when you enjoy it every once in a while.

8.  Clean more.  I hate cleaning with a passion.  I do it out of obligation because living in filth is frowned upon.  However, if anyone wanted to come and clean my house for me, I would have no complaints.

7. Stop being such a procrastinator.

6.  De-clutter.  We live in a small European apartment and I feel like we add more stuff than get rid of.  I would love to get rid of half of the things we have but don't use, but see #7 as to why I haven't just yet.

5.  Take more pictures.  I love all of those project 365 or 52 challenges, but I hate taking my camera places.  And even when I take it, I forget to use it.  I should just be grateful we have any pictures of our kids at all.
  
4. Potty-training.  We've tried, we've failed.  I hold no hopes for 2012.  Maybe I'll let his wife worry about this someday.


3.  Spend less time on the internet.  I think the longest I've gone is 2 days and I had withdrawals.


2.  Update my wardrobe.  I still have clothes in my closet from the beginning of the decade.  I think it's time to let those go, or maybe I'll just wait until they come back in style.


1.  Make more of an effort to learn French.  It is amazing that I've managed to live nearly 4 years in France with my level of French.  Luckily Nathan's French is quickly improving and he will soon be able to correct my terrible grammar.

If any of these "should" happen to come true, we'll call it a great year.  And if not, well I wasn't holding my breath.


Pin It

15 comments:

The Anecdotal Baby said...

Wow, we have so much in common! I can relate to #s 10, 8, 7, 6, 3, and 2! I'm with you on the resolution thing... I just don't believe in it, and who needs the disappointment looking back at what you didn't accomplish. Wishing you a happy New Year.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

If I were going to set goals cleaning would need to be on the top of my list. I have dust bunnies that are now old enough to have babies!

Karen Greenberg said...

Those sound like great goals. It's really hard to get back to exercising once you stop doing it. Start slowly. Go take a walk. You can do it!

Kimberly said...

If I made a list I'd have almost the same one. I do need to clean more, but I just can't get started!

Mark said...

Good luck on all your goals. But one question, your clothes are from the beginning of what decade?
Happy New Year!
m.

Date Girl said...

Those are some great goals and they seem pretty doable to me. I've had a lot of laziness these past dew weeks so I can relate. Normally I've got my list of goals by now but napping just sounds better. ;-)

Jen said...

Ha! This is great, Barbara! I love how so many of us don't make resolutions. Also, I could use a housekeeper too ;)

Stasha said...

Your potty training plan really made me laugh!! Love this list. And I still have my favorite pair of jenas form 1996, hoping that one day...Also related-I now wear 3sizes bigger so REALLY!?

AudreyN said...

Ha ha great list! I need to declutter but lack the motivation :) And the potty training comment has me giggling :)

Cookie's Mom said...

Clutter - oy! Procrastination - oy! Cleaning, eating well, excercising - oy! So much pressure! Phew. I like your attitude. Perhaps my New Year's resolution should be to go with the flow more.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Great list! And I love your attitude about it! I think perma-laziness has set in with me too. Though I have no excuse as my youngest is almost 2!

Kiddothings said...

What a great list! I despise cleaning with a passion too. I should have made a list like yours so that if I ever achieve any of them, I'd feel on top of the world! :)

Nenette AM said...

Okay, I totally love this approach! I now have 2 school-aged kids who are relatively independent, and I still have trouble getting through my to-do lists. It was SO MUCH WORSE when they were a toddler and baby! This type of list would've been a great idea for me back then... when I should've been happy to have been able to brush my teeth and go to the bathroom before lunch. Brilliant!

Amanda said...

I love this week's listicles topic. I love that we are doing away with the "shoulds" and just allowing ourselves to be who we already are!

Kim said...

These would be mine too with exception to learning French:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...