Home for the Holidays

Thank you to T-mobile for sponsoring my post today.

I made a comment the other day to Cornel where I said that this would only be the third Christmas I didn't spend with "my family".

I didn't realize when the words came out of my mouth how hurtful they sounded until Cornel turned and asked me,

"Aren't Nathan and I your family, don't we count?"

It is then that I realized what a terrible example I was setting for my son.  Here I am trying to instill some values of Christmas that have nothing to do with Santa and presents, and yet I was being so selfish!

My son doesn't realize that we are missing a Christmas in Arizona with his extended family.  All he wants and all he needs is to be with us, his parents.

He needs hugs and kisses, he needs cuddles on the couch, and bed time stories.  He needs boo boo's kissed and the occasional holiday cookie.  He is lucky enough that his grandmother and aunt and uncle will be here to celebrate with him, in his home.

In fact, Christmas is what I make for him.  Whether in France, Romania or Arizona.  It is being with family and not about gifts and Santa.

That is what it means to be home for the holidays.  To be somewhere that is surrounded with love, comfort and family.  So as long as the three (almost four) of us are together...we will always be home for the holidays.





Let's BEE Friends
Pin It

10 comments:

Kiddothings said...

What a sweet post :)

Elena said...

Yes, wherever the (almost) 4 of you will be, it will always be your home for the holidays. You're setting a good example - no need to worry. ;)

Adrienne said...

I know it's hard to believe at this moment, but as you build "home" for the four of you, your emotions will shift, and your sense of home will be all about your own little family. I think that one of the greatest blessings about being over seas was that we had years of Christmases as just a little family of four. We traveled home in the summers - so our "vacation" memories ALL include extended family. But our Christmas memories are ours. And precious. And look at me now....hoping they all want to "come home" for Christmas!

Adrienne said...

Beautiful! It's true. Home is wherever we are with the ones we love.

Twisted Mummy said...

Wow, nice post. I had goose bumps watching that video. Amazing, thanks for posting.

Emmy said...

We move a lot- so home has definitely come to mean my husband and kids to me a lot

Natalie said...

Awww...this is a sweet post!

Bees With Honey said...

What an uplifting video and a feel good post. Home for the holidays - it's always the best :)

labergerebasque said...

I would give anything to be "comfortable" with my daughters this Christmas holiday! GOD BLESS you and yours :)

Katharine said...

I know how you feel though. Last Christmas I was in Beijing with Will and it was my first Christmas "without my family" even though I was with my husband. Its hard to be away from "your country" and after years spent in one place or with certain people its hard when you don't have them. Even so, you are with your family now and you have such a pretty one. Nathan is lucky to have you and Cornell!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...