A chocolate a day....

I have been collecting small Chrismtas decorations since I moved out "on my own".  I would keep all of these things in a box for when I would have a family of my own.  I'm not sure why I began collecting these things since in my 30 years there have only been 2 Christmases that I haven't spent with my family "back home".

When I moved to France, I had to get rid of almost all of the things I had collected through the years.  There were only a few special mementos that made the big trip over the ocean.  These mostly stayed in the boxes since we usually spent our Christmas holiday traveling.

This year however, with Baby #2 making his appearance any day now we knew that our holiday would be spent in France.  While I was sad to not be with my entire family, I was determined to make it a memorable "family Christmas" for us and out came all of the decorations.

One of my favorites was this angel advent calendar that I've had for over 6 years.  She has made the move with me all over the US and now all over France.  I have yet to use her, but since Nathan is now 2 years old I really wanted to start the advent tradition with him.

I showed Nathan the angel and explained that every day he had to move the tree to the right date and take out the "treat" inside.  He was more interested in finding the treats than hearing me talk.

Needless to say that this calendar will stay empty until and will be magically filled while he is sleeping in his bed.
This morning we had our first advent treat of the year.  He was so excited to stuff the little Christmas treat in the pocket that he forgot to take the treat out. And for our very first treat of the calendar we have none other than a tiny French pain d'epice (gingerbread).

I'm hoping to fill this with different treats every day, be it chocolates or a small toy.  He is still too young for the "daily activities" so for now this will have to do.

It also feels so good to have started a family tradition that we can continue in the years to come.  No matter where we spend Christmas.

Mama’s Losin’ It

Pin It

18 comments:

Janie said...

This post is very relatable. We've been spending the past few Christmases away from our immediate families and I must say it feels lonely. But ever since the baby came, I've resolved to start making our Christmas traditions =)

Mark said...

That kid has such a mug on him. Give him a kiss from me.
Mark

Adrienne said...

This is a precious advent calendar...and I've looked at tons of them lately to get inspirartion for the one I made for Melissa. I love that you put it at his eye level ~ that is just great (don't know why I never thought of that ~ I was forever lifting them up!?!)

Enjoy decorating ~ so, so much to celebrate this year!

Jen said...

Aw, I love this idea! Your family will remember these traditions always :) "no matter where you spend Christmas"
XO

Jenny said...

I just love family traditions, such a great one to start with him!

Heidi / I'm with Leia said...

Oh that's so nice - love the fact that you have saved the calendar. Can't wait for my little A to be big enough for an advent calendar.

Exciting to see how everything is going with thy pregnancy, wow 34 weeks already - hope the baby arrives safe and healthy and not for an other 4-6 weeks :)
By the way have you manages to get hold of some of the stuff your mum wanted you to buy? Loved your little tale of US vs EU/France habits.

Nieves said...

Very sweet your angel calendar and your new family tradition. I love Christmas (in spite of that nowadays many people in my country like to say that they do not like!)and so I love everything related to Christmas: music, presents, decorations ..... and if this means I am still a little girl.... then I assume it and I hope to be a little girl for many years to come! Lot of kisses,

Not a Perfect Mom said...

what a cute calendar! I need to get mine out...my kids have been asking...
visiting from mama Kats

Cam | Bibs and Baubles said...

Love it! What great tradition. It's a great one to start with him. He can show Noah the ropes next year. :)

Kiddothings said...

Oh I love this idea. I've never done an advent countdown to Christmas before and I've seen some bloggers post their countdown ideas. I like this because there are treats involved ;)

Elena said...

What a fun tradition! I still haven't figured out what to do advent calendar wise with my boys. I'll figure it out by the time they're in college. :)

Amanda said...

I LOVE creating new family traditions! And my kid is finally the right age for it now, too. So excited for this Christmas!

Helene said...

That has got to be one of the most sweetest Advent calendars I've seen! And the family tradition that you're now beginning will be so much fun and one I'm sure he'll look forward to for many Christmases to come!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I love the calendar! And what a cutie he is. I get my kids' cheap cardboard chocolate calendars every year, which they love. But I'd like to get a calendar we can keep someday. :)

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

Your child is almost nightmarishly cute (I mean that in a good way). Sounds like y'all are doing it big over there. I didn't see my family for Thanksgiving and I won't for Christmas either so we can share in out self-pity.

Natalie said...

That is such a pretty calendar. I don't blame you for stuffing it while he sleeps or you might find some days missing! I hope to do this with my little one once he gets older!

Kim said...

Nathan looks so much like you in that last picture! We are dealing with the same thing here - advent calendar only means chocolate.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I haven't seen an Advent calendar like this one. It is so cute! JDaniel has one filled with chocolate. He loves opening its doors every morning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...