Thanksgiving a la francaise

I have to admit that reading all of these posts about the long Thanksgiving weekend was making me a bit nostalgic and definitely craving the turkey with all of the fixin's (trying to make sure I don't forget my Southern ).

Luckily though, this year I didn't have to do without!  The American community in Clermont put on a huge Thanksgiving lunch on Sunday and for the first time we were there to celebrate.  There were over 120 people in attendance so it was quite the event, which was held at the local international school.

I was so excited since this would be Nathan's first Thanksgiving, definitely not traditional but first Thanksgiving nonetheless.

So while Cornel and I dined on this delicious feast.... 

Turkey with stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans and mashed potatoes....

Nathan chowed down on chicken nuggets and frites (French Fries).  I guess he is more American than I realized.

At least he looked cute for the occasion right?  He did however make five separate trips to the dessert table.  He had his fill of madeleines (cookies) and picked off his fair share of strawberries from the various cakes and tarts.  There is truly no denying that he is my son!

Even though it was unconventional, it was amazing to spend an afternoon eating turkey and being thankful for my amazing family and our wonderful life in France!


Pin It

13 comments:

By Word of Mouth Musings said...

Just love that you got to have your Thanksgiving dinner far across the globe ... looks like a fabulous turkey day ... altho making turkey for 120!!!

Kiddothings said...

That is a plateFULL of Thanksgiving goodness! Glad you got to celebrate Thanksgiving in France! :)

Stasha said...

Well it is "french fries" right :)

Cam | Bibs and Baubles said...

sounds like a great thanksgiving to me! you guys had quite the spread.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a wonderful gathering! I would want to take more than one trip to the dessert table too.

Moomser said...

We celebrated Thanksgiving on Sunday too! I guess it's the expat way... no holiday on thursday and friday.
p.s. for the cream of tartar you asked about, I don't think it's sold in Italy, I get it when I go home, but there's an awesome online shop in france that sells all over Europe - I think it's based in Toulouse - and they have all kinds of american foodstuff. Shipping is reasonable and prices are well... not what you would pay in a grocery store in the US but you take what you can get right? Anyway, if you want to check it out: http://www.myamericanmarket.com/ it's where I get my Dr Pepper and Goldfish Cracker fix!

Missy said...

That's so great! Glad you were able to get something close to the fixin's. And my kids don't do Thanksgiving food either!

Sonya said...

Looks like you still had a pretty good meal! Nathan's little outfit is cute!

Adrienne said...

Yummy! And fun ~ Hope you got to mingle with a ton of fun people. I do think the long weekend part might have been my favorite part...it was very hard to go back to work Monday!

Hungrigyrl said...

Why yes he did look adorable! The food looks amazing! Glad you were able to celebrate Turkey day, a la Francaise! :)

Shellsea said...

That doesn't sound unconventional at all...sounds like a real Thanksgiving where people come together. I love it. :)

Sara said...

Nathan is so handsome!!

Natalie said...

He is a cutie! Glad you got to celebrate your "own" turkey day in France!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...