Holiday Planning

I know that most of you are gearing up for Thanksgiving so you definitely don't want to hear about Christmas yet but Christmas has already arrived in France.  Especially since there is nothing in between to take our attention away.

Christmas is a big {HUGE} deal in my family.  The only time where we all get together and the event usually lasts 3 days.  There are aunts and cousins, and neighbors you have known for so long they are practically family.

In fact, in all of my 31 years I can count on hand the number of Christmases that I have not spent with my family.  So needless to say, it's very important to me.

This year, with the arrival of baby #2 so close to Christmas we will be spending the holidays in France.  We are very lucky that we have family that has decided to make the trip out to spend Christmas with us.

My mom has already begun planning her big dinner for Christmas Day and has been sending me daily emails with lists of things I need to have stocked in my kitchen.  The emails have become more like comic relief than anything else and I think my mom is in for a big surprise when she realizes she will have to make things from SCRATCH!

Some of the doozies on her list where:

Cream of Mushroom Soup - I have yet to see a can of soup let alone mushroom.  We do have powdered soup, but I hardly thing that this will have the same effect in some of those delicious holiday side dishes.

Boxed Stuffing - There is definitely no such thing as Stove Top here, and I doubt that the French have ever shoved moist bread up the rear end of any animal, let alone a turkey.  This one we will be making with some toasted baguettes.

Gravy Mix - Unless she wants to put on a hollandaise or sauce au poivre (pepper sauce) we will also be making this from scratch.  That or she will be packing some packets in her suitcase to bring with her.

I think that this Christmas dinner will be unlike any other we've ever had.  We're going to have to go gourmet on this meal.  I definitely think that this will be the first time since my grandparents were younger that there will be so much food made without the help of modern conveniences.  This should be an interesting meal.  

Hopefully I won't be at the hospital giving birth!

Pin It

15 comments:

Mark said...

Too funny!
Please, for the love of God, carry your camera around 24/7 to photograph your Mom adapting. It should be a hoot. When Fred moved here(to the U.S.), he made everything from scratch. It was amazing to see what he could do. Now he's a typical lazy American. I think these kids are wearing him out.
Have fun!
m.
p.s. I could eat some Stove Top right about now.

Heidi / I'm with Leia said...

oh yeah I've heard that americans have everything on a can...I'm used to have some stuff canned too ( from Norweay) but I don't miss it...although I don't know why I liked powdered potato mash when I was a kid - when the real deal is so much better and so easy too....

Hope everything is well with you and the bump. My little one is nearly 6 weeks now - and 5kg!

tracy@sellabitmum said...

Oy. Cream of mushroom soup. I remember when I moved to Amsterdam and could not buy Kraft Mac N Cheese. I thought my life had ended.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Will Alice.com deliver to France? I bet they have those things.

Adrienne said...

I'd def recommend gravy mix in the suitcase! And I alwyas had the butcher stuff my turkey (but it was a sausage stuffing!) It just dawned on me that maybe the reason "my" thanksgiving/christmas (I make them eat the same thing both days!) meal is my favorite is all the years I was "deprived" of it in France! The one GREAT tradition we hang on to from our years there...beef fondu every christmas eve!! YUMMY!

Cam | Bibs and Baubles said...

can't wait to hear the details of how this dinner turns out. it'll be an exotic Christmas dinner with you guys learning some new methods along the way. Very cool.

MilkJam said...

Take a look at my cooking blog http://www.milkjaminthekitchen.blogspot.com/
There's a section on thanksgiving and all made with products easily found in France.
Tell your mom to be happy there's no Stove Top, once she tries my stuffing she'll never go back!!!

Shell said...

Oh yes, have her pack her suitcase full of what she needs for dinner!

Helene said...

You guys seriously don't have cream of mushroom soup in a can over there??? Yikes!! Want me to send you some? LOL!!

Sonya said...

That's great that your family is coming! Sounds like it will be a fun Christmas for you!

Elle The Heiress said...

I can just see your mom showing up with a suitcase full of packaged foods instead of clothes. LOL

Jen said...

That is so wonderful your family is coming over for Christmas! SO exciting! I make stuffing from scratch every Thanksgiving, and it's so delicious!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

How fun that your family's coming out!!! My parents are coming for Thanksgiving and I can't wait. Though Christmas is always just our family. And I'm not sure I would be able to cook without cream of mushroom soup. :)

Liene said...

Cream of mushroom soup at the German store, La Foret Noire, and cream of tomato and minestrone at the downtown Carrefour. The Irish store off of Blatin also has a bunch of necessary stuff, and I've heard the "exotic products" store off rue de Gras also has some finds. Good luck!

Shellsea said...

That is hilarious! I actually kind of like how you don't have Thanksgiving in France. Christmas arrives in the states around October. I would like to get into the Christmas spirit early, but feel like I'm cheating on Thanksgiving.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...