The Big Name Reveal....

When we found out that our first baby was going to be a boy, we had the had the hardest time on finding a name.  We were these people that had a girl name picked out before we were even married, but we never considered the possibility of a boy.  We went through all of the baby books, websites and we could not agree on a name.  It is even harder since we had to find a name that worked in all four of our household languages.

When we finally decided on the name Nathan, we felt such a sense of relief.  It was the perfect name that we both loved.  After our son was born, it was clear that the name was meant for him.

Then came the big ultrasound with this baby where we found out we were again having a boy.  What a twist of fate.  Again, we had to go back and find a name. You don't realize how much the language barriers come into play.  I loved the name Cole but in French it would have been "Allez Cole" (let's go Cole) which sounds exactly like "A l'ecole" (go to school)....so that name was out.

Cornel had his mind set on two names, neither of which I loved.  Isn't it funny, how having met someone previously with a similar name can ruin it for you?

But Cornel's heart was set, and I reluctantly gave in to one of the names.  We began calling the baby by that name, although in my heart I knew it wasn't perfect.  We shared our name choice with our families who all had an opinion.  My dad even sent me a list of over 20 names he loved over the name we had chosen, including Guiseuppe (we're not Italian) and Santi (as in Santiago without the "ago").  It seems we wouldn't be so lucky as we were with Nathan's name.

Time went by and when people would ask us if we had a name, we would say yes - but we didn't really share.  Luckily since it is bad luck in France to say the name of the baby before they are born we weren't really pressured too much to share.

Then, one day while at a doctor's appointment I was flipping through a magazine and saw it.  I turned to Cornel and asked him, what about this name.  I was shocked when he looked back at me and said he also liked it.  It also started with an "N", so we could be like those "matchy-matchy" families.

We took the name out for a test drive and it fit, and so we decided that our son's name would be:


While the name doesn't exist in French, Spanish or Romanian (it is spelled and pronounced NoĆ© in all 3 of those), we loved how spelling it American style would make it unique in the other 3 languages.  Although with the popularity of Yannick Noah (a French tennis player), the name is becoming quite popular in France.

As for the name Cornel had chosen to begin with...well that will be his middle name:  Noah Gabriel.  Who say's I can't compromise?

I love this name and even Nathan now refers to my belly by name - when he isn't calling him "brudder" of course.


As for these pictures, I found my inspiration on Pinterest and my wonderful husband was willing to be my photographer.  These are me & Noah at exactly 33 weeks pregnant.
Pin It

41 comments:

Liene said...

I completely understand playing the language game with possible names! Several of our favorite names we passed on, because they would most definitely have become playground taunts... But Nathan and Noah, wonderful!

Adrienne said...

So perfect! And I sooooo remember the dilemma when I was pregnant with our son ~ finding that name that worked in both (we only had 2!) languages. A friend was in a cab and asked the driver for ideas...one of which was Jeremy...and we fell in love with it! LOVE the photos ~ such a fun way to reveal your special name. Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Moomser said...

Love it! I never would have thought of it, but it matches perfectly with Nathan. It must be a relief! Also love the pictures, can I pin one or would you rather not have your belly on pinterest?

Kiddothings said...

What a beautiful name! I love it and I think it's just perfect. My kids have matchy-matchy names too, as in the first letters of their names are the same. LOVE those pictures! :)

labergerebasque said...

Beautiful name (wise) and beautiful belly!

The Brennan Family said...

I love his name!!! Great choice :)

Natalie said...

I love the name Noah! :)

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Nathan and Noah sounds perfect, hope you still doing well :)

Nieves said...

I love the name, Noah! By the way, Natham, Noah.... any especial reason for names starting with N.....jejeje? And I love the photo of you and Noah with the letters on your tummy! Kisses and nice weekend to you and your lovely family!

Mark said...

Love it! It's even better than mine.
So I approve.
Your Friend, m.

Kate R said...

Wonderful name! I've always loved Noah. Our French niece is named Noa, which I was surprised as I hadn't heard it used for girls, but apparently they said it can be used for either boys or girls in France. But you're right - the spelling will make it unique. And LOVE the photo - very cute!

Kate R said...

Wonderful name! I've always loved Noah. Our French niece is named Noa, which I was surprised as I hadn't heard it used for girls, but apparently they said it can be used for either boys or girls in France. But you're right - the spelling will make it unique. And LOVE the photo - very cute!

Shellsea said...

I absolutely love the name, Noah, and Nathan and Noah together. The picture was the cutest way to reveal too!

Amanda said...

So exciting! I love the photo idea.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Congratulations on picking a name. I love the name Noah! Our last one wasn't named until about a week after he was born. His first name was almost Noah, though I changed it at the last minute and used Noah for his middle name. :)

The Anecdotal Baby said...

Awe! I'm so excited for you, and I LOVE the name choice. So funny you had a girl name chosen even before you were married... the hubs and I were the same way. Turned out we had a girl so it was kind of nice not to have so much naming pressure. It's tough... not like a pet you can change after a few weeks if you don't like it, lol.

Anastasia said...

I love this idea! I am done having babies but I wish I had know about it then. So cute!

Jen said...

Absolutely beautiful!! I love the name, I love the pictures...so sweet! I also love how Nathan and Noah sound saying them both together :)
Almost there!!

Cori said...

Perfect name, and that photo is so adorable!! You're getting close!

Stephanie said...

Love the name, both of them, and the pictures are great :)

Quiana said...

What a wonderful backstory explaining all the cultural nuances that can go into naming your child! We experienced this in our family with naming our daughter since she is both African-American and Nigerian. I think it's so cool to have a unique story behind a child's name! Can't wait to "meet" Noah soon =)

Jessica said...

Those pictures are adorable and I think the name is great. I had the hardest time trying to come up with a boys name when I was pregnant. Fortunately I had girls.

Cam | Bibs and Baubles said...

Absolutely perfect. I love love love it!!!

Sara Louise said...

Awesome! Noah goes perfectly with Nathan! :-)

Katharine said...

What an awesome picture! And a great name! Congrats!

Kim said...

AWWWWW I love this picture and you know what - Nathan and Noah sounds wonderful together. Love it!

jeands said...

I love your pictures, very artistic. And the name is perfect.

Helene said...

I love the name you've chosen!! But I know what you mean about how hard boy names are compared to girls names. We had the same issue with each boy (we have a Cole!!)

The belly pic with the name Noah is beautiful!!!! I wish Pinterest had been around when I was pregnant!! What a great idea!!

Shell said...

Love the name- and such a cute pic!

blueviolet said...

I love the name, and I love how you chose to show it in that photograph!

Stasha said...

Such a sweet post. My husband chose our son's name and I struggled with it throughout pregnancy. But once I gave birth he looked like one and now I cannot imagine him not being Julian.
Noah is a lovely name. Very exciting.

Jessica said...

I remember the name debates well. And that picture? Perfect. I saw it on Pinterest too and it almost made me want to have one more. Couldn't be happier for you. Love the name Noah.

Ali - My Suitcase Full of Tricks said...

NOAH! That's a great name! I love classic names. I can't believe that's your belly looking so tiny an not stretch marked. I'm so excited for you. And those pictures are just beautiful.

Michelle said...

Seems like blogger is finally letting me comment again, so...

LOVE the name! We had actually picked Noah as our 'back-up' name in case Lane had turned out to be a boy (because they weren't sure she was a girl). And love the photo shoot...so cute!

Liz said...

I love the name Noah! So happy you guys settled on one!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love how you shared the name. What a wonderful name! I love the story of Noah in the Bible!

tracy@sellabitmum said...

So perfect! LOVE!!!

Heidi / I'm with Leia said...

Just saw this post - I adore the pictures - and the name. yes it's so hard to find a good name that will work in more than one language - we had a similar issue when we selected name for the baby - as the vocals ( a-e-i-o-u- y) is pronounced differently in Norwegian and Danish (like French and German I guess). but we ended up with Andreas, just perfect for the little man :)

(we also had a girl name ready early on...perhaps we can use it next time...)

Cookie's Mom said...

How did I miss this post?! I love the name Noah, also the name of a much loved family member of mine. Very unique way of announcing the name - cute photos for Noah's scrapbook!

Kimberly said...

I love the name!!
And at only 11 weeks, I'm already bigger than your belly. You are so cute!!

Miss Marina Star said...

Love the name, love the pics, perfect post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...