The Big Mickey Party

The problem with living abroad these days is your wide access to the Internet which lets you know what everyone "back home" is doing.  This can lead to some serious problems, when you realize that there is no way you can do the same things where you are.
Last year, I wanted to throw Nathan the best first birthday party ever.  I scoured the internet for ideas (this was pre- Pinterst folks) and recipes and had the perfect party planned on paper.  I slaved for hours making homemade rolls (since I couldn't find them in France), spent an entire evening making cakes, cupcakes and buttercream from SCRATCH because heavan forbid they sell a Betty Crocker mix for under 10 euros!
This year, however, I decided that I would "french it up".  I was determined to keep things simple (as simple as I can make things) and prepare things that were readily available in France.  There were some panic stricken phone calls to my mom who did mail me some dip mixes and candy melts (is that cheating) - but all in all I stuck to my mission statement.
So, you can all now call me Marie Stewart {as in Martha but French}.

We decided to have  Mickey Mouse birthday, since my son is obsessed with all things Mickey {I think he might have even said Mickey before he said "mom" but I won't admit to that on the internet}.  I wanted to make the menu extra "Disney-ish" and so we had the following: (if you would like me to post any of the recipes let me know)
Food & Snacks:
Chip & Dale's Chips & Dip
Pete's Pasta Salad
Clarabelle's Croissants au Jambon (Ham & Cheese Croissants)
Donald's Cheese & Quackers
Daisy's Delicious Dip (Spinach Dip)
Pluto's Hot Diggity Dogs (Pigs in a Blanket)
we also had a Baked Brie (frenching it up, remember), vegetable crudite and smoked sausages and hams without the cute names
Sweets & Desserts:
Mickey Mouse au Chocolate (chocolate mousse)
Minnie's Mouska Cookies (my pinterest inspiration)
Clubhouse Chocolate Cupcakes (my mom's homemade recipe) + chocolate cake for Nathan

As for the decorations they were all store bought - except for the wreath that greeted people at the door that was handmade with lots of love.  We also displayed his photo banner.  I think everyone got a kick to see how much Nathan evolved from 13 - 23 months.  Everyone also got a homemade pair of Mickey ears to wear during the party.  While they didn't come out as pretty as I thought they would, they were the perfect party favor and much nicer than just the pre-made cone hats.  

I also made the printables thanks to the help of my friend Nicole and used Nathan's stuffed Mickey dolls along with some pictures with Mickey as decoration throughout the party.

I bought Nathan's shirt from Etsy and it was hit!  Everyone at the party commented how nice it was.  We ended up washing it that night and he wore it to school on Monday.  All of his teachers ooh'ed and ahh'd since you don't see this kind of thing very often around here.

Nathan got a lot of gifts even from across the ocean and he spent most of his day laughing and playing.  I don't know if he will remember this day, but he will always have the pictures to remind him of what a special day it was!

Pin It

20 comments:

Ali - My Suitcase Full of Tricks said...

Adorable! You did a great job!

labergerebasque said...

He is one lucky little boy!

Natalie said...

Looks like he had an awesome party! You did a great job and what a fun theme!

Missy said...

Looks like it was a great, memorable day! Glad everyone had to much fun.

Cam | Bibs and Baubles said...

what a great birthday party!!! Every single detail. You did a great job "Marie Stewart"! :)

Minivan Mama said...

Looks like somebody has a knack for party planning... Looks amazing and I know your son and his friends were thrilled!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

You did such an amazing job! I love the food display.

Elena said...

What an awesome party! I love the Disney & French theme. So fun!

Shell said...

Looks like you did a fabulous job!

Jessica said...

What a fun party.

Homemade chocolate cupcakes? Yes please.

Kiddothings said...

Oh wow! You did a wonderful job with the party. I would've had a nervous breakdown trying to plan one of this scale! :)

Katharine said...

What an adorable party! You are so creative!

Mry Jhnsn said...

Oh Boy (in my best Mickey voice)! You did such a wonderful job!

Susan said...

So fun!
Happy Birthday to your little guy. xo

Adrienne said...

FANTASTIC!!! I joke with my kids that they had the SAME decorations at ALL their birthday parties when they were little. Cause there was only one set of birthday paper products available in france. And there was ONE choc cake mix...so that could explain why neither of my kids like cake that much! We still threw the best parties in the neighborhood...so my kids thought I was 'all that!' You are quite creative! AND I would love some Mickey Mouse au chocolat, s'il te plait!

Jessica said...

Wow! So much cuteness! I think you outdid yourself.

Kate R said...

So creative! You did a great job with all the little details. Nathan looks like he is having a great time :)

Jen said...

Wow!!! That all looks awesome! You did a really great job :)
Love the pictures!

Quiana said...

What a fantastic party! You are so resourceful =)

Janie said...

Happy happy birthday Nathan! That was one awesome party! And you are very resourceful =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...