Hallo..what?

Like I've mentioned before Halloween is not celebrated in France, at least not by most French.  You can find pumpkins in the grocery store, but usually pre-cut and pre-seeded ready for eating not carving.  Last year, I had good intentions to take Nathan to a small Halloween festival but that never worked out and so we have never really had an official initiation into this holiday.

My mom had bought all of these cute halloween t-shirts for Nathan after they had gone on sale last year. She gave them all to me in hopes that he might get to wear them somewhere.  I had them shoved in the back of the closet and honestly didn't think I would pull them out.

I decided that since Nathan is 1/2 American afterall, that he would celebrate Halloween, even if his teachers didn't understand (even though most people have heard of the holiday).  That is why, every day last week, Nathan wore one of his new t-shirts to school.  I was surprised that his teachers thought it was cute and funny and they looked forward to a new t-shirt everyday.

So, I guess, rather than trying to adapt our family to the French way of living that maybe they would also enjoy to see some of our traditions.  I think Nathan definitely had fun wearing spiders on his shirt!


So I hope that all of your back in the States have an amazing time trick or treating and that you all stay safe today.  We are celebrating a holiday here (Toussaint) and have the day off work.  We will be getting together with a few more American families and living it up (for the sake of the kids of course!).

Happy Halloween!

Pin It

13 comments:

vinobaby said...

Nice you get a day off from work. Enjoy your mini-Halloween celebrations. The pics are too cute. Cheers.

Sara said...

His shirts are too cute!! He's getting so big. I think it's great that you are celebrating Halloween with him even though it's not celebrated in France.

Kiddothings said...

That's so cute having him wear those Halloween shirts throughout the week. Here's wishing you a great French-ey Halloween anyway! :)

Natalie said...

I'm so glad you are having fun with Halloween with Nathan. Those shirts are super cute!

Nieves said...

The T-shirts are lovely. Have a very Happy Halloween Barbara, I am sure Nathan will have fun and will enjoy a lot!

Moomser said...

Loved the t-shirts!!!
Halloween has been making a half-hearted entrance in Italy lately so we went trick or treating for the first time ever... not quite like being in america, but we'll take what we can get. Tomorrow is a holiday here too, so we can recuperate from all the crazy. (The crazy due to the kids' sugar high I mean)
Happy Halloween!

Jessica said...

Cute! My son has the one with the mummy also. Enjoy Halloween!

Jessica said...

Cute! My son has the mummy shirts, as well!

Mark said...

He's such a pumpkin! Depending on how long you are there, maybe his Class will start having Halloween parties.
m.

Jen said...

Aw, hope you had a fun day anyway! Love his t-shirts, he is so cute :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

I said 'Happy Halloween!' to our headmaster, and he looked at me like I had an extra head :) In England, there is nothing joyous about it. Don't you think everyone should celebrate the American-styled Halloween? - just fun, fun, fun and a great way to meet your neighbors! XOL

Happy Homemaker UK said...

And thank you for joining Post Of The Month Club! Have a great weekend :) XOLaura

Adrienne said...

I've been sooooo bad about commentnig lately - but I've been reading/watching all your celebrating! I LOVE that you've started sharing the "american" traditions with the people around you. I totally tried to "be french" at first...then realized most of my french freinds would way rather I invite them for a tex/mex night than an American-trying-to-fix-french-food night! We absolutely did the things with our kids that meant the most to us, irregardles of their country of origin!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...