What would I do...

I don't think that one week goes by without me uttering the words "I wish I didn't have to go to work today", although I've never given much thought to what I would do if I weren't working.

10Clean the house.  I also love to utter the words "if I didn't have to work so much I could clean the house", but who am I kidding?  I hate to clean and the house would be just as messy (if not much more if I were staying home).
9.  Become Susie Homemaker.  I would be the woman who greets her family after a long day all dolled up in high heels and pearls.  A martini and slippers for my husband and fresh chocolate chip cookies for the kids.  Dinner would also be lovingly prepared from scratch each night.  Okay - not true.  I would do none of this, but I would like to maybe learn to cook a little better and maybe make a dinner that didn't involve some sort of frozen food.

8. Get my craft on.  I would love to actually get creative and do things that I don't get to do in my spare time.  Like scrapbook or sew - okay maybe not scrapbook since I have 0 patience but maybe sewing.

7.  Save the environment.  I would join these groups that save the environment you know like the NRDC and do something worthwhile with my time. Okay, maybe also an exaggeration - I'm lucky if I can sort the trash for the recycling every week.  So maybe I would just not shower and get pretty everyday and call the water conservation "going green" and definitely find time to sort the garbage.

6. Join the PTA.  I'd become one of these involved parents that I see everyday. You know - the ones that give the evil eye to parents like me for never having the time to get involved.  I do give a good evil eye - so this has some potential.

5.  Watch TV & eat bon bons.  Seriously, at least for one portion of my day I want to be able to watch something other than the Disney Channel.  I would get dragged into mindless soap operas (like I did during my maternity leave) and enjoy the mindless entertainment.

4.  Nap.  My son gets to take a 3 hour nap at school, I think I deserve the same.

3. Exercise.  Because after doing nothing but watching TV while eating bons bons and napping I'm going to need to feel better about myself.

2. Stalk all of my friends on Facebook.  Because the couple of hours that I get to do it at night isn't nearly enough time.

1. Shop!  Oh how I would love to go shopping without a stroller or toddler in tow.  I would try on all of those gorgeous non-mom clothes that I can't afford and daydream - then I leave the store without buying a thing.

What would you do if you didn't have to work?


Mama’s Losin’ It


Submitted as part of Mama Kat's writing workshop.
Pin It

19 comments:

LIbertad said...

I couldn't have said it better! Oh and those PTA moms they really do know how to give you the evil eye. I sometimes envy those moms that take their kids to school and look so fashionable at 7:30 am. You know the ones that go from dropping their kids off to go have breakfast with their friends and sip coffee in peace and tranquility. Only worry they have is what time they are going to the gym, because they have a maid that is cooking and cleaning for them. Oh, one can dream right?

Natalie said...

Ha ha I'm a SAHM and my house is still a wreck...and I'm lucky to have dinner done! LOL sigh it never gets easier either way does it?

Liene said...

Wow. I stay at home, and would love to have time to do all these things! :) Honestly, it's like there are even fewer hours in the day when you stay at home!

Minivan Mama said...

If I stayed at home with out the kids...your dream list would look a lot like mine! I get to do a few of those things now when the kids are in preschool and IT IS AWESOME!

Cam - Bibs & Baubles said...

I would do ALL of the above! Thrown in a little more blogging too!

Jessica said...

I am a stay at home mom, and I wish I could do half the things on your list. It's tough. In order to get things done and still have time for me, I find myself staying up very late into the evening or waking up at awfully hours in the morning. *sigh. I worked for awhile, too, so I know that's no walk in the park either, however. They're both tough.

Mark said...

I would love to be a SAHM. No, that's wrong. I just want to be a housewife and the kids are in school. Since I love to clean, my house would be spotless. But as it is, I leave for work in the morning, Fred sees the kids off to school and then he begins work(out of the house/on-line). When I come home, the house is messier than when I left. And if you didn't figure it out, Fred is the only one at home during the day. It's very sad. Now I'm all upset.
m.

Nieves said...

Since my administrative work is quite a routine work I really wouldn't be upset at all if I wouldn't need to work, I would have plenty of things to do: writing, taking photographs, travelling, collaborating with charity associations, shopping, meeting with friends.....I really know I would not get bored at all, I know it (even without having any kids)!

adventuresindinner said...

Bring on the shopping without a toddler and a stroller :)

The Blonde Duck said...

This is such a fun prompt!

Dana @ ReallyWWWThinking? said...

I am a SAHM and I do nap with Klaw. I don't really do housework unless I have to or unless I think Chris is really sad about the fact that I don't do housework....

Not Just Another Mother Blogger! said...

What exactly are bon bons, anyway? Everyone talks about them, but I've never seen one! I want some!!

Amanda said...

All of the above! Plus spend more time with my family. And lobby for a Women's UFC. ;)

Anastasia said...

oh my god yes naps!

Jessica said...

I am a SAHM but I also work both at home and outside the home so I really don't know how to classify myself but this is exactly what I would do if I didn't work at all, and well if I didn't have kids to chase after. Except I would spend more time on Twitter and not on Facebook.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I couldn't do this one, because I so miss being a SAHM. I did all those things, but while I joined the PTA (which even working moms can do) I wasn't active. PTA moms scare me!

Kiddothings said...

Haha!! I'm not working and neither am I doing all the things you've listed. This is so amusing. I like your list though and way up on my list would be a 3-hour nap, TV and shopping.

Katharine said...

Wow, its like you wrote this post about me. I struggle to go to work everyday and always think of how much more I would get done if I wasn't working. When I really think about it though, I know I would have to really push myself to do a whole lot more housework or more intense cooking. I would probably end up joining some daily luncheons where we drank cocktails and complained about our husbands expecting us to clean more and cook better ;)

The Anecdotal Baby said...

You had me in stitches AND I was nodding my head through it all. I am a SAHM and I wish sitting on the couch, eating bon bons, getting dressed up every day, and nap time were ALL parts of my day... sadly, NO! I too, am good w/the evil eye so maybe PTA will be in my future... though, I'm not too excited about that one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...