Strasbourg

Strasbourg is one of the cities in France that I didn't even know existed before moving here.  It is also a city that every French person I encountered told me "I had to see" someday.  With a recommendation like that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see it on this vacation.

Strasbourg is a city in the North of France that borders Germany in the Alsace.  I actually didn't know very much about it, but came to realize that it is a really cute town.  Cornel had been there before so he served as our tour guide for the day.  The first order of business the Cathedral, because it's not a proper French town without a Cathedral.

The architecture in Strasbourg is beautiful and you can see the German influence.  I loved the buildings and just walking through the streets.  There were music performers and people on every corner and the streets were so filled with life.  As far as French cities are concerned, I definitely place Strasbourg on the top of my list.

Next to the Cathedral, there is my favorite candy/sweets shop - La Cure Gourmande.  It is actually a chain and you can find them throughout France.  Their cookies and chocolates are to die for and Cornel loves their nugat.  Nathan didn't mind the raspberry cookies he got for free from the girls working there.

Strasbourg is also home to the European Parliament - as in the people that make all of the decisions concerning the EU countries.  The building sits by the water on the outskirts of downtown.  We couldn't pass up an opportunity to see it.
 
There is a beautiful river that goes flows through the middle of Strasbourg and you can take a nice river tour of the city either by day or night.

In Alcase - the main delicacies are choucroute and flammekuchen's so were on a mission to find both.  Choucroute is a plate of sauerkraut that is then topped with all kinds of different grilled meats and sausages - definitely a man's meal if that is what you are looking for.  The flammekuchen is almost like a very thin crust flat bread pizza - instead of tomato sauce however you have various cheeses, onions and sausages.

We found a traditional Alsacian restaurant where Cornel ordered the house choucroute.  The thing was enormous and had nearly and entire pig on it.  We were shocked when Nathan started smacking his lips and asking for some.  At two years old Nathan not only ate a huge helping of sauerkraut, but he helped Cornel but a big dent in some of the sausages.  Definitely not a healthy meal for a child - but hey it was vacation after all.

Do you try and stick to a special diet when on vacation or do you try the local fare?
Pin It

14 comments:

Kiddothings said...

That is a huge piece of pig on that plate!!
Special diet on vacation?! Nosiree! A vacation is an excuse to indulge in food - definitely local fare. Same goes for the kids if they are adventurous enough.
Beautiful architecture indeed!

Stephanie said...

My jaw literally dropped at the sight of that meat!!! Crazy :)

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I'm loving your city tours! What a beautiful cathedral. I also love the look of the little shops. I would have to make a stop for candy too. Though I'm not sure I could finish that much meat!

Nieves said...

What a beautiful city, I haven't been there but reading your post has made me feel like visiting it! Very nice post and photos, thanks for it!

K said...

That is so cute your boy started smacking his lips :) That made me laugh. But whew, I can't imagine receiving such an enormous piece of pork to eat! Hopefully leftovers were an option?

Your blog is really making me want to go to Europe! I just want to smell and see everything in your photos!

Shell said...

What a gorgeous city!

Not so sure about that meal, though. Ew.

Kim @ Mamas Monologues said...

That looks like an amazing city! I'd definitely stop for candy and cookies too!

Sandra said...

NO, I definitely don't stick to my diet while on vacay! I have to comment, those pictures are breathtaking. The scenery is really quite something. I've always said I had no interest in going to Europe (my hubs spent 5 years in Germany, and talks of wanting to go on holiday some time). I think your pictures may have made me a convert.

Jessica said...

I want to visit this place just to go to the candy store. Is that wrong?

Mark Himes said...

Geez, that meal was huge. Only an American can suck down all that. I would know!
And thanks for the tour. It's much cheaper travelling through you. m.

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Another lovely city and yes we always try the local food as to us that is part of the holiday.

blueviolet said...

I just want to wander and wander and wander. Well, I'd sprinkle quite a bit of eating in there too. Beautiful!

Sonya said...

You have been to so many beautiful places! It's like scenes from a movie!

Tina @ Life Without Pink said...

Oh so jealous!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...