Sleeping Beauty's Castle & Bavaria

In the heart of Bavaria Germany is Sleeping Beauty's Castle and it was always on my top 10 list of places to visit in Europe.  It's name isn't actually Sleeping Beauty's Castle, but I always call it that since I cannot pronounce it's actual name, Schloss Nueschwanstein (and I won't even try to spell that phonetically!).

Walt Disney supposedly saw this castle and it inspired the castle that we all see today on everything Disney.

The Castle was actually built by King Ludwig who liked to spend Germany's money on lavish castles.  He dies mysteriously before this castle was finished.  His family, in need of paying off his debts opened it up as a tourist attraction and it is just that almost 200 years later.

If you plan to visit this castle, I highly recommend that you make reservations or you will be waiting in line for an hour just to purchase your ticket!

The castle sits on top of a hill and there are several ways to reach the top:  1) A 30 minute hike, 2) a horse drawn carriage or 3) bus.  We took the bus up and the horse carriage back down, which Nathan loved.

There is also a bridge that is over a creek that gives you the perfect view of the castle.  The bridge is made of wooden planks and after seeing the number of people on the bridge I had  panic attack and had to turn back.  Luckily Cornel made it all the way across with the camera in hand.


The actual tour of the castle was short, only about 35 minutes, but the rooms were outrageous.  The king obviously had some crazy ideas, such as an indoor cave; definitely worth the trip.


Also in Bavaria is the town of Sigmaringen with another great castle.  This city was actually where the Nazi French government sought asylum during the Second World War, so there are a lot of French influences.  Ironically,while we were there a French Market was taking place.


The castle here actually has special significance for Corneliu since it belongs to the Prince of Romania of the Hohenzollern Family.  We took the inside tour and had a nice time exploring this quaint little Bavarian town.


Oh what it must be like to live in a castle.  Wouldn't that be the life!


Let's BEE Friends
Pin It

26 comments:

Janie {HooGoesWhere} said...

oh my goodness! would love to visit that place one day. i also cant imagine what it would be like to live in such a castle!

Melissa Hall said...

This is definitely on my list too! We will be in Germany in December so hopefully we can check it off then. :) Looks like you had great weather too!

Sara said...

That is amazing. I love hearing about all the adventures your family takes!!

Adrienne said...

This is so magical! No wonder it inspired Walt Disney! ....and I don't think I could have made it out onto that bridge either ~ eek!

Amanda said...

Sounds like a great trip! I'm not sure my little one could make it through a day of sight-seeing like that... yet.

vinobaby said...

Stunning! Enjoy...

Mark Himes said...

That looks just like my house! Well, except I only have two balconies on the North side. I don't talk about my house much cuz I don't like to brag. ha!
Your Friend, m.
p.s. I really do love that castle.

Jeanine Byers Hoag said...

I would love to live in a castle! At least, for a while. Those are great pictures, Barbara!! But that bridge looks a little scary. I am not a friend of heights :).

Hungrigyrl said...

Aaah, to live in a Castle! For some reason I always imagine they would be cold inside, and you'd have big roaring fires. Beautiful scenery around there, how lucky are you to get to visit these places!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This is beautiful. Did you feel like a princess just walking through it?

Stephanie said...

I have to go see that now!! I am adding it to my Pinterest travel board :)

Bees With Honey said...

I love castles. Beautiful photos and place! I imagine you have to be a queen or a princess to live in a real castle.

Kim @ Mamas Monologues said...

That is gorgeous! I'd love to live in a castle.

euregirlsandboys said...

That castle is so beautiful! I would love to see something like it.

loulou said...

Hi Barbara

lovely photos - I wish I wore one of those princess hats with the long veils behind - I've always loved those.
My kingdom for a horse!

have a great weekend and thank you for checking in with my blog posts too - it means a lot to me

x

Loulou

Sonya said...

I think that is prettier than the Disneyland castle! What a fun place to visit!

Jen said...

That is awesome!!! I didn't know the story behind Sleeping Beauty, or that it was inspired by a real castle!

Deb said...

Oh, oh, oh! I wouldn't have said this even five minutes ago, but now that I've seen your pictures, I'm already dreaming of visiting this castle. I'll take note of your pre-purchase recommendation, or try, as it'll likely be a few years down the road. ;)

Cookie's Mom said...

WOW! BEAUTIFUL pictures, Barbara. I can't wait to see my first real castle some day (I've been to the Disney castles only). Hoping to make it to Scotland next year.

Kiddothings said...

GOSH what a beautiful castle! I've been enjoying 'travelling' through your blog. I do hope that one day I'll get to visit these places.

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Thankyou for your recent visit to News From Italy, I do hope you will call by often now we have found each other. I am now your latest follower, I so enjoyed the virtual castle trip.

Elena said...

I love watching all your travels through Europe. I've always wanted to tour castles in Germany but I honestly didn't know there was one called Sleeping Beauty's. Looks so beautiful!

jeands said...

Oh my, this is a beautiful place. I hope I can also visit this place one day with my liitle girl.

Btw, thank you for your sweet comment you left on my blog. I'm your newest follower now.

Enjoy your trip/s.

Jessica said...

I had no idea there was a real castle that Disney based the Sleeping Beauty one. This looks like a great place to visit. That bridge probably would have freaked me out too.

By Word of Mouth Musings said...

Am i only one wondering how long it would take to clean that place? Obviously Princesses come with maid servants and scullery maids, and butlers ... so why should i worry? ;)

Gorgeous!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I love this! It would be a dream to go! I think my girls would go crazy for this too. We would definitely be taking the carriage. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...