Clear the Roads....

For years my husband has been telling me that I need my own car - but honestly after the whole driving debacle of 2008 - I was a little car shy. 

Plus the fact that I was still in denial about the fact that we would be staying here for any long period of time.  I mean I didn't want to buy a car if we were leaving in a couple of months.  But now that I'm in my new "acceptance" mode and expecting our second child we knew we would have to make the investment soon enough and in an automatic car no less.

I spent my days staring at all of the cute European cars on the road dreaming up the pros and cons of such cars.  I always pictured myself in a cute Italian car that left no room for car seats but that I would look absolutely great in...such as the Fiat 500 (doesn't it look like a toy)
My husband suggested a smart car, because then I wouldn't have to parallel park (which I don't know how to do by the way)... I mean, look I could park this thing anywhere and put the kids in the trunk or on the roof maybe...
But alas, all of these were pipe dreams because while we loved to talk about it, we hadn't done anything about it.
Then came the message from above, in email form none-the-less about the used automatic car for sale.  It belonged to an expat family that was heading back to the states and they wanted to sell it.  It's as if it was made for me.  It's 7 years old and only had 12000 miles on it (um...brand new).  We went out to take a look and we were SOLD.  

It's a Renault Scenic the closest thing to a mini-van that you will probably see in France.  Isn't she pretty...I've named her Minnie...

Now the kids won't have to ride in the trunk and my husband can stop chauffeuring me around...it's a win-win!  Plus since this fell right around my birthday, my husband now gets to tell everyone how he bought me a car - earning him major husband points and bragging rights to anyone who asks.

Now I just have to change the plates and registration and spend an eternity at the prefecture (city hall) and oh yea...learn to parallel park.  It's always something here in France!

Pin It

29 comments:

Liene said...

The Scenic is a good car - it was what we had the first month after arriving. And yes, much easier to find an automatic transmission by keeping tabs on leaving expats! Congratulations, and enjoy the ride!

Moomser said...

Yay for your new car! Parallel Parking just takes pratiche, and once you learn you'll feel like you can rule the world!

vinobaby said...

Good luck with the parallel parking. I'd think having a car with (soon-to-be) two kids would be a good thing, although I'm still envious how everything is geared for walking over there. Here we drive from one store to the next in the same shopping center {sigh}.

Enjoy!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to drive one of those!

I can't paraell park. :)

Mark said...

I'm so happy for you! I got a mini-van and I love it. I don't feel less macho because I drive one either. I love the room and the storage.
Yours is a beauty. I was worried that you would be crawling behind seats to shove your little ones in there but it looks like you got it made.
m.

Alison@Mama Wants This said...

That does look like an awesome car, congratulations on your new wheels! Parallel parking is easy to master. Once you've got it, you've got it :)

Michelle said...

I would say I'm jealous, but...I'd never want a car in this city of 18 million people! I'm happy for you, though! Bet it'll make life easier!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the color! What a pretty car! I can't parallel park well. It takes me forever to do it badly.

Adrienne said...

Woah!! That is a big step ~ one I never took in my 12 years in paris...we were a metro family all the way, occasionally borrowing a car to leave the city...but I never drove it! I know nothing about cars....but I can say I love the color!!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Nice birthday present!!! I think you'll love all the space and it's sort of nice your kids won't have to ride in the trunk. Lol! :)

Oh, and I can't parallel park either.

Colleen said...

Hey I love it and I must say, you are one brave woman!!:) Driving in Paris?:) I have only admiration for you!:) I hope that your travels will be full of safe and fun adventures in your new mode of transport! :) Enjoy and you look lovely by the way! I think I will have to come back when the wee one is in bed and read more of your adventures in France!

Mry Jhnsn said...

Lovely car! Congrats!

Nieves said...

Contratulations for the new and cute car! It will be vey useful for you and the kids, enjoy it as much as possible!

Shell said...

Awesome new car!

LOL @ him claiming it's a birthday present.

Mine did that w/our anniversary one year.

jeands said...

Congratulations on your new car and good luck on parallel park. :D

Enjoy the ride. :)

Quiana said...

What a cute little car! You are so brave for driving around Europe. I had to drive in Germany alone when I first arrived to visit my then boyfriend (now hubby) and I was TERRIFIED of being on the autobahn. He had a knee operation and was in another city and when he came back after a couple days I was his chauffeur! My husband studied SO hard for his Europe license and I think it's cool that once you have it there's no need to retest. Looking forward to a future trip to Europe so he can use it driving ME around ;-)

Adrienne said...

Cute new car!! I also cannot parallel park! I'm sure I couldn't do it in a smart car either.

Sonya said...

Nice! Good luck learning to parallel park!

Kiddothings said...

What a coincidence! We got a 7yo Peugeot 807 right around my birthday last year and my hubby bragged that it was a birthday gift to me! Haha!
Congrats on the new car - Minnie looks gorgeous. I would have wanted a smart too if not for the kids having to sit on the roof or trunk :D

Stephanie said...

Congrats! Great birthday present ;)

Jessica said...

How exciting! I would still tell my husband he owes me a birthday present. The car was a necessity.

Enjoy!

Kimberly said...

So exciting! Congrats! I agree with Jessica, the car was a necessity. You're still owed a birthday present.

The Blonde Duck said...

Have ya'll ever been to Germany?

Kim said...

We switched to a mini van last year when Naveen came along and I have never been so happy. I always pictured myself as an SUV girl and now that I'm a mini van mom, I wouldn't change it for the world. I can't parallel park either. I just find a spot further away.

Natalie said...

YAY! Congrats to you! It's so exciting to get a new car!

tracy@sellabitmum said...

Oh she is adorable!

Jen said...

Ha! Love this!! And, I can't parallel park to save my life ;)

Skywaitress said...

Okay I read your driving debacle post and I can SO sympathize.

If I wrote about my whole learning to drive a stick experience it would be blog length. Let's just say it involved a giant Euro van, Romania, and a woman in labor. Oh so freaking fun.

Your car is very pretty. And the fact that it's an automatic? Total win.

Enie Dub said...

That picture looks just like my Smart car! http://renovatinglpa.blogspot.ie/2012/07/smart-parking.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...