Beaune

Beaune is yet another city that I never knew existed and yet one of these that is considered a "must-see" in France.  This city is only about half an hour away from Dijon and conveniently was on our way home.  We decided that we would only stop in for lunch but ended up walking around the city and enjoying the sights.

Beaune is actually at the end of the wine trail in Burgundy (or the beginning if you are optimistic).  From here you can take the small national roads stopping into wineries and sampling all of their delicious samples.  Thanks to baby #2, this was not part of our day - but I still hold out hope for a trip in the future.

Beaune is also famous for their "hospice" an ancient hospital that has since been converted to a museum.  The hospital was gifted land where they began growing grapes and making wine (what else) to help take care of the sick and poor people of the city.  Eventually, the hospital became self sufficient and began growing gaining a great reputation in France.

The vineyards are still there and you can still buy some Hospice wine if you so choose.  There is still a retirement (nursing) home that is operating and still runs on the profits from the wine.

While the history is fun, the most impressive thing about the hospice is the thatched roof in bright and colorful patterns.  This was the first building in the region to have this kind of roof and then it became traditional of Burgundy.  Isn't it pretty?

Other than the hospice and the wines there aren't too many other things to see in Beaune, so after our nice tour we ate lunch and ended our wonderful vacation. 

After traveling for 2 straight weeks by car, I think we have had our fill of vacations until next year!

Would you love to do a car trip for 2 weeks?
Pin It

12 comments:

Michelle said...

I drove from Alaska to North Carolina and took about ten days doing it. It was nearly miserable! I can't imagine a 2-week car trip with a toddler!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

You have sure had a wonderful vacation! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Andi said...

I have been to Beaune a few times, we would pass it on our drive from Geneva to Paris - it is beautiful and such a lovely little town with BIG wine buying auction every year.

TwistedMummy Chronicles said...

Wow, nice pictures. I like the coloured roofs. It kind of reminds me of Germany a bit.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I've LOVED seeing your vacation! What an interesting and beautiful trip. I definitely need to go one of these days.

Kiddothings said...

I would love to do a car trip for 2 weeks just for the experience. I think it's the best way to see the countryside. I wouldn't know how the kids would take to it though. How did you manage Nathan in the car?

Flor said...

would this be a car ride with kids or without kids? :)
because if kids are included in that 2 week car ride then I'd have to say no lol :)
I've never been to France, it's so nice to "visit" it through your blog! :)

Mark Himes said...

I would absolutely hate a two week car trip. Two hours in the car with my group and I consider driving the car off a cliff. That said, I did enjoy your trip. And sine I recently joined your blog, I assumed that all you did was travel the country and take photos. ha!
That last picture of your boy is a killer! Love it!
Your Friend, m.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Just stunning! I've never heard of it but will add it to our list when we visit again. Thank you for the tour :) XOL

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Oh yes we know Beaune have stayed in the area on our many road trips over the years. Not so much fun with children though!

Coffee Lovin' Mom said...

When we visited I said I could easily live in Beaune - what a beautiful town and the square! Did you little guy get to ride the carousel? The hospice was like nothing I had ever seen before, so amazing.

Jessica said...

Looks like a great place to stop and visit for lunch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...