When I grow up

Today I'm going to link up with Liz and Jessica for the #summerblogsocial event - a great opportunity for all of us to share ideas about what we love, what we need and where we will see ourselves in the future!

I wanted to write about where I think my blog will be in 6 months or even a year from now.  It is hard to believe that I started blogging over 3 years ago.  I started this blog to share my journey about moving abroad and never really expected it to grow past a few family and friends.

I would write about recent trips and some interactions that I would find amusing, but never really had a purpose.  After the birth of my first son, I longed for something more.  I started using my blog not only as a way to document my son's life and my journey into motherhood, but also as a place to just get out my frustrations and express my anxiety and insecurities about being a first time mom; a first time mom abroad at that!

What happened next shocked me, I started connecting with women who were in similar situations.  I started finding communities where I "fit in".  I started realizing that I wasn't alone in this crazy blogging world and my blog again started evolving into a variety of things.

Now again I find myself at a crossroads with this blog.  In the next six months I hope to narrow down the focus of my blog (which I find at times can be all over the place); really take the time to write about things that I care about and not just write to fill up space five times a week.  I want to create a place where people can come and feel welcome with their comments.  A place that is real to me and a place where I feel that people find a sense of community.

I have already started branching out into areas of social media that I never imagined I would.  I joined twitter and a Facebook fan page is in the works.  I hope that in the next year or so my blog will be a place that I can be proud of creating and a place that I feel is a true reflection of me!

What do you think?  Is there something that you think my blog is lacking that I should focus on in the coming year?  Is there anything you've done that you think has helped you better achieve your goals?
Pin It

10 comments:

Jen said...

I love your blog! I love that your blog is "all over the place". I like the recipes, and the pictures, and talking about your son. You do a great job!

Sonya said...

I'm following you on twitter now! mrs {underscore} mcj

Liz said...

It's natural to grow and evolve over time. There have been different periods in my blog that I look back now and think, "Why did I ever do that?" :)

I think anyone who spends time evaluating and thinking about the future and next steps is on the right path.

Jessica said...

I think you are doing great on Twitter so far. I know your time zones are off from American bloggers so maybe start scheduling some tweets for your blog post when Twitter is active for the US people (If you are already doing this, ignore my advice).

mom2kiddos said...

I've only discovered your blog not too long ago and I love it. I loved reading about your son and the travels you had. I think you've done a great job documenting your life abroad as a mother and that's what makes you special. I always, always believe in writing from your heart. It will lead you where you should go.

Stephanie said...

I haven't been reading your blog very long, but I enjoy what I've read!

I haven't been blogging nearly as long as you but a theme I have noticed is that blogs evolve and change as time go on. Can't wait to see how yours changes :)

Elena said...

I think you're doing great so far! I think for me the one thing I like to do is have goals and reevaluate them all the time. Makes me feel like I'm still on purpose. Jessica's tip is good - scheduling some tweets because of the time change is a good idea!

Alison@Mama Wants This said...

I think you're doing wonderfully, Barbara. If you feel that you need to sharpen your focus, pick 5 areas you feel you cannot do without with your blog. If you find that you have more, that's fine too! Focus on what you love and write from the heart, it will all work out. You'll see. Good luck!

Cheryl D. said...

We share similar goals of finding a new direction for our blogs! I hope you find something that works for you!

Michelle said...

I like that your bog's all over the place...kinda like mine! Honestly I don't really like reading blogs that are either primarily fashion, or baby, or recipes. I like to know who it is behind the blog, and I think you do a good job at that. Don't change too much! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...