Lake Como & Milan

Cornel loves the lake region in Italy especially Lake Como.  This is one of the reasons that we decided to begin our trip through Northern Italy.  After leaving Torino we took the quick drive to Lake Como and we could not have asked for a better day.

We took a walk around the water's edge and even let Nathan enjoy the waterfront playground while we enjoyed the amazing view of the mountains and houses that surround the lake.

We wanted to take the ferry to the other cities along the lake, but decided to sightsee a little bit more in Como.  We ate lunch at an amazing rooftop restaurant that overlooked the Duomo (Cathedral).  Since most tourists wanted to eat on the sidewalk cafes - we had the place nearly all to ourselves and the prices were almost half of what they were charging downstairs.

By the time we finished lunch and the rest of our walking tour we decided to start taking the drive to our next stop - Milan.  Before we could do that however, I couldn't leave without visiting Bellagio.  We drove through the mountains getting spectacular views of the city.  By the time we reached the city, Nathan had fallen asleep so we skipped the planned sightseeing and decided to just take pictures and enjoy the view.

We arrived in Milan in the early afternoon and had time to enjoy the beautiful Duomo (Cathedral).  It was so breathtakingly beautiful and we let Nathan chase around the pigeons in the Plaza outside.  The weather was gorgeous.

It was getting late and we still hadn't eaten dinner so we headed to the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.  An amazingly beautiful shopping area that has been covered and is just so amazing to see.


We decided to splurge on dinner that night and eat a nice restaurant right in the middle.  Sadly by the time dinner was over there it was rather late and we decided to head back to the hotel rather than continue the sightseeing.

The next morning we woke up early and finally saw the inside of the Duomo before heading over to the Scala di Milano, which is one of the most famous opera houses in Italy - although you would never know it by how plain it looks on the outside.

Cornel has been to Milan many times and had never been inside so we took the tour of the theater.  There are no pictures allowed inside - but it is absolutely gorgeous.  The first words Nathan said as he walked into the balcony was "wow" and it echoed throughout the room.  I can only imagine what it must be like to watch a performance there.

Since we were there on a Sunday, there weren't many things that were open and I was afraid that I would not get to fulfill my life long fantasy of shopping in Milan!  On my list was a pair of shoes from Tod's but Tod's was closed and I thought I would have to leave this dream for next time.

Not one to disappoint Cornel took me to a La Renicesente which is an upscale department store that has everything you can possibly imagine - including my beautiful shoes.  Cornel bought them for me as a birthday present and I was so happy to leave with my little orange bag!

Since our trip to Milan was more of a pit-stop in an already full itinerary - we didn't get to visit the original Last Supper, but since I love Italy so much there is no doubt in my mind that once my travel restriction is lifted we will be back with plenty of time to see it all!

Let's BEE Friends
Pin It

18 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh, beautiful pictures. What a vacation, every shot looks like it could be framed and hanging on the wall.

Melissa Hall said...

I love the Duomo in Milan...breathtaking. We saw it as we were coming up from the metro in the square. Stopped me in my tracks!
We didn't get to see the Last Supper either when we were there, since you need to book in advance. But luckily, come October, tickets to Milan from Toulouse are less than 30 euros so we will take the opportunity then! (You should think about it too!)
Love the Bellagio pictures, that is now on my list!

Kiddothings said...

I love the architecture of Italian buildings and structures and it's really amazing that even Nathan could be awestruck by it.
You lucky gal you with the new pair of shoes! :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

You are taking the trip we hope to take some time next year! Your photos are stunning, and it looks like everything I'd hope it would be :) And how cute are you?! XOL

Moomser said...

Your pictures made me miss Milan so much! (lived there for 10 years, went to uni there, met my husband... lots of wonderful memories and friends there). It's great to see beloved places from someone else's perspective!

Adrienne said...

Sigh....sigh. Two of my favorite spots. Lake Cuomo is breathtaking....and we had friends in Milan so we visited ofter. Really brought me back! Great photos ~ thanks for sharing your vacation!
ALSO ~ I shared about you on my blog today...passing a "sweet" blog award your way!
Hugs!

Michelle said...

Looks so fun! And you look so cute! I always look like a bum on vacation because, well, I'm on vacation! Maybe I'll look cute this upcoming week...we shall see how I do!

Cam said...

Beautiful pictures. The architecture is awesome. Italy is on my list of places to visit. I too have a dream of shopping in Milan!

Ellie said...

Milan looks wonderful, Italy is one of the places I would love to visit. The little boy looks so cute.

Jen said...

Gorgeous, beautiful pictures!! I'm so jealous of your adventures :)

Elena said...

Great shots! Now I need to hop on a plane and visit Italy. ;)

Melissa said...

Oh the memories! We started our Honeymoon in Milan! I loved revisiting it with you. We also didn't get to see the last supper because of our touring schedule, and I still wear the shoes I got in Milan, 10 years later! Italians know there shoes!

Corine (@ComplicatedMama) said...

Galleria Emanual looks GORGEOUS! I too have Europe on my bucket list-- if only I could get on a plane for more than 5 hours.

Enjoy! :)

Jessica said...

We didn't get to see the Last Supper when we were in Milan either. All the more reason to return, right?

Jessica said...

I need to do some traveling after seeing these pictures.

I'm so amazed that you survived these busy days. I would have been in the hotel room napping every day if I was pregnant.

Jessica @FoundtheMarbles said...

That looks so beautiful. It's making me quite jealous as I type this from old rural PA!

Tamera Beardsley said...

Such a wonderful and transporting post! What shoes did you get from Tod's?

Bees With Honey said...

I *love* Italy and have been to Milan but never to Lake Como. Beautiful photos. Your post makes me want to get on a plane and travel to Europe. Oh, how I long to go back and see more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...