The hills are alive...Salzburg

I was definitely very excited about our trip to Salzburg, Austria.  While Cornel will tell you that his is the birthplace of Mozart and all things historical like that - I will tell you that this is where the Sound of Music takes place, and who doesn't love the Sound of Music?

The first item on the sightseeing list was the birthplace of Mozart.  Nathan loved the part where you get to watch the operas on a TV screen which goes to show this kid inherited NOTHING from me.  There was chocolate in the gift shop, which we bought so the tour was a success for every member of the family.  (While I kid that all things cultural are over my head, it was interesting to read about the history and visit some of these places).

Dinner (and breakfast) were had at none other than Cafe Mozart, because we're not tourists that do things half way!  The dinner was delicious (even Nathan scarfed down his plate) but the piece de resistance (I've lived in France too long) was the dessert.  We had a traditional Salzburg-ian Nockle!  They were not joking with the dessert!  Fresh fruit with a sugared egg while top all baked to perfection and served with whipped cream.  I died a little and then went back for seconds!

Having had my fill of culture for the trip, our second day in Salzburg was spent in no other way than recreating the Sound of Music.  The entire time I sang and my family hated me for it so then I just sang it quietly in my head..."do a deer a female deer...".  

There was more giant chess and I could only wonder why the Austrians are so obsessed with life size chess.  We also sat down at a nice cafe while they played an Opera for kids (if that's not irony I don't know what is) on the big screen.  It was all in German but Nathan seemed to have had a good time.  And no trip to a Germanic country is complete without Shnitzel, pretzels and beer (which my husband demonstrated in just one meal)! Oh, if only I weren't pregnant.

We ended our day in Salzburg by taking the funicular up to the fortress that overlooks Salzburg.  The fortress was lackluster to say the least, but the views of the city were breathtaking!  There was a restaurant that overlooked the Cathedral and we settled in to have a sunset dinner there.  It was truly an unforgettable moment!

Before leaving Austria - we decided to take Nathan to the zoo which was right outside the city.  He had never been to a zoo before (shocking I know) so we really wanted him to see the animals.  The zoo was small which was perfect for us.  We got to get up close and personal (literally) with so many animals.  Nathan was not impressed with the petting zoo and really wanted nothing to do with the animals (maybe he inherited a little from me).  Maybe we will try again when he is older.
 

Pin It

11 comments:

tracy@sellabitmum said...

Looks like an amazing vacation. It is so incredibly beautiful there. xo

vinobaby said...

Beautiful! All the talk about fabulous food with amazing scenery is making me swoon. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Cheers!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

I admit - I love the name "nockle" and kind of want to steal it!

theanecdotalbaby said...

What a wonderful trip... I have to tell you, I travel vicariously through you!

Kim @ Mamas Monologues said...

That looks gorgeous there!

Shell said...

All the places you get to see are amazing!

loulou said...

Hi Barbara

It al looks so fantastic - It is a shame I am so far away from all of that divine culture. You are fortunate it is so close for you.

have a wonderful day

x
Loulou

K said...

I think I'll be singing the songs of The Sound of Music the rest of the night :) What a wonderful time you all had. And I love the perspective taken in some of these photos!

Jessica said...

Of course, it's all about the Sound of Music. I'm taking my boys to see the Sound of Music on stage in a couple of weeks and I am very excited.

Elena said...

I love these adventures! I was so into the Sound of Music as a kid - what a cool place to get to visit. The life size chess cracked me up. They had the same thing at the resort we stayed at in California. They were so big, they almost toppled my youngest!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

OK, I'm totally living vicariously through you now! How fun! I would be singing too and my family would be telling me, "Stop!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...