Susie Homemaker

While I love to cook and try new recipes rare are the days when I spend hours in the kitchen lovingly preparing meals for my family.

I usually do it on a whim and if I have the ingredients then I go for it, other than that, this family survives of pasta, rice and potatoes...oh and lots of bread and cheese!  Which is why this weekend was so unusual for me.

Maybe it's the pregnancy cravings; or hormones; or nesting or maybe it's just the fact that it has been so cold here lately that I find the warmth of the oven comforting.  Whatever the reason, I spent the entire weekend in the kitchen and we all lived to tell the tale.

Last weekend I emailed my mom because I was a craving for her delicious Albondigas Soup {Mexican Meatball Soup}!  Since the house was sick this weekend I decided to give it a go, and I was surprised how easy it was to make (recipe below)!


As if that wasn't enough, I woke up early Sunday morning and wanted to make something special for breakfast.  I usually make banana pancakes but without any bananas and lots of old stale bread I decided to make this for breakfast!

I didn't have any strawberries so I used frozen red berries instead and they were delicious!  This was a momentous occasion since this was the first time my husband had ever had french toast (which isn't French at all)!  It was so rich and decadent - perfect for a lazy Sunday.

And last but not least I found this great website for healthy foods for toddlers!  When I saw the recipe for these apple banana muffins with no processed sugar I knew I had to make them for Nathan.  And so, Sunday afternoon as the rain and wind pounded down, I set out to make muffins!  They are delicious and the honey makes them oh, so moist!  I can't wait to try some other recipes on this site!


I'm going to have a hard time outdoing myself next weekend.  We might just have to go back to pasta and cheese.  At least for one brief moment, one weekend, my family ate well!  Who knows when this wave will come again!

Albondigas Recipe:

1/2 pound ground beef
1 egg
2 tbs tomato paste
1 garlic clove
1 onion coarsely chopped
1 can peeled seeded tomatoes
1/2 bell pepper coarsely chopped
1 cup cooked rice
1 carrot diced
1 zucchini diced
2 cups water
4 cups broth (beef or vegetable)
Fresh parsely

Bring to a boil the water and the broth.  

In a blender mix half a can of the peeled tomatoes, the tomato paste, onion, garlic, bell pepper with a pinch of salt.  Add 1/2 cup of the blended mixture to the ground beef along with the egg and season with salt and pepper.  Mix it all together and form small meatballs and put gently into the boiling water.  Add the remainder of the blended mixture to the water and the remaining can of peeled tomatoes.

Lower to medium heat and throw in the carrots and zucchini.  Continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender and the meatballs float to the top.  Add the cooked rice and warm through.

Serve and top with chopped parsely.  Enjoy!


Pin It

11 comments:

Jen said...

Awesome recipes! I'll definitely have to try those muffins! And wow, can't believe your husband has never had french toast! We usually do breakfast nights on Monday nights...that's one of our faves!

Elle The Heiress said...

Go you! I'm not much of a cooker, either. We eat a LOT of pasta, potato, bread & cheese. And bag salads, because I'm so much of a non-cooker that I can't even chop up my own veggies for salad. Ha!

Also, I don't think I knew that you are pregnant again! Congratulations!

Shell said...

Oh, this is making me hungry!

Jessica said...

What great recipes, I am definitely checking out the healthy kids website.

Elena said...

That soup looks delicious! I can't believe your husband had never had french toast before. I like the strawberries in there. Yum!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

I've never tried Mexican meatballs, but they look delish :)

Melissa said...

Thanks for stopping by "A Wide Line" today, as it brought me to your blog. I LOVE Ablondigas soup! Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it! Hope the family gets better soon.

Jessica said...

Look at you doing all that wonderful cooking. I'm impressed.

Alison@Mama Wants This said...

Lovely recipes, Barbara!

Stay At Home Babe said...

Yum!!! Okay, wait, which should I make first?! :) Thanks for linking up.

My Inner Chick said...

--You are a Domestic Goddess. Thanks for putting me to shame. The soup looks incredible. WOW.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...