Simple Things

I was that typical little girl who always dreamed of having Barbie’s dream house in real life.  You know the hot pink mansion with the convertible out front a swimming pool in the back and a closet that stretched for miles.  If someone could have put that dream house on the beach then my dream could have been complete.

Then I grew up and things and my dreams started becoming a little more realistic.  The mansion would have been way too much to clean so how about just a 2700 square foot home and a BMW X3 instead of the convertible.  You know, for the kids.

The sad reality is that for a while I had all of these things.  I had the home and the BMW, and I was miserable.  I was in a love-less relationship in a city I hated and a car that I was too afraid to drive in traffic.

I look back at my 25 year old self and laugh.  All of those material possessions that I wanted, got my nowhere in my life.

Now, in my 30’s (*gasp*), I live in a small French town in a 2 bedroom apartment that is smaller than my first home’s downstairs area.  We have only one car and I find myself walking half of the time (okay maybe ¼ of the time), and you know something – I’m happy.

We have everything we could possibly be need to be happy.

Could we have bought a much bigger home – yes.  Could we have bought that second car – yes.  Could I have bought that Louis Vuitton that screamed my name in Italy – yes.  But all of those things wouldn’t have made me any happier.

It truly is about the simple things. 

A man who loves me and who takes amazing care of his family.

A son who always kisses me in the morning even if he is in a grumpy mood.

A roof over our heads and food on the table.

A happy home that is filled with laughter and love.

And a grocery store that now carries Philadelphia cream cheese and peanut butter.

And those things mean so much more to me than my BMW ever did.  It truly is just about the simple things in life.



Mama’s Losin’ It


Submitted as part of Mama Kat's writing workshop.

Let's BEE Friends
Pin It

20 comments:

Anita @ Mommy in Search of Me said...

Isn't it amazing how we grow up thinking all of those "Things" matter and once you really grow up you realize they don't. :)

Misty said...

this is so, so true...

Danielle said...

This is wonderful! I love how life changes us. We start out with goals and dream and they change, and we change, along the way. Congratulations! Keep finding happiness in the little things!

Kimberly said...

Love this post!

Jeanine Byers Hoag said...

Barbara, what a beautiful post!! I am still trying to negotiate between the desire to have a dream house on the lake because of the way I think it will make me feel to live there, surrounded by the comforts of home, and the awareness that I can create comfort and be connected to nature anywhere, and had better start where I am right now!

vinobaby said...

So lovely and true. The need to have things rarely leads to happiness. Although, I would LOVE to HAVE a little place in France as well...especially now that peanut butter is available...

Cheers. VB

Rusti said...

absolutely true. love it. so glad that you can enjoy the simple things and be happy with them - sooo many people don't understand this concept... good for you! *HUGS*

Jessica@ Suitcases and Sippy Cups said...

Very nice post! Did you get the email I sent you about the Tripbase Seven links party? I would love to nominate your blog, but want to make sure you want to be nominated first.

cam said...

it's amazing the difference in what we actually need and what we think we need. the simple things really are the best.

Elle The Heiress said...

This is all so, so true.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

It truly is the simple and uncomplicated things that bring me the most joy!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Lovely post - I feel the same way. It's about people, not things :)

Writerly Wanna Be said...

Simple things, can be so beautiful in the right packages can't they? Love your post and your insight.

Jen said...

I love this!! You are so right, it's not about the "things"...except maybe the peanut butter and cream cheese ;)

Babymama said...

It is sometimes hard not to get caught up isn't it?

We all need to learn to appreciate the little things. A surprise baby at almost 40 (huge GASP!) definitely helped me to do that.

xo
babymama

Jessica said...

This is a good reminder that all of those material things really don't mean much. It's about family and being with them that counts.

Jackie said...

So true, so true, though peanut butter just might be one of those real "things" I do need for happiness!

Bees With Honey said...

Ha ha, I love how you added the comment about the Philadelphia Cream Cheese and Peanut Butter. Two very important must-haves in life, I agree!

Glad to see the simple things are making you happy too!

laci512 said...

Stopping by from Bees with Honey. Isn't it funny how we grow up and realize these things? :) I too was a 20-something with it all, living the fairytale lifestyle with nothing but sadness inside. Now, I'm a 30 year old living my fairytale lifestyle with a wonderful husband, 3 fantastic kids, 2 crazy dogs, a mortage and car payments. Isn't life crazy!

My Inner Chick said...

--What a great story.
It's ALL about the LOVE love Love.
Superb.
PS. but I'd still like a little BMW!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...