The Nivea Experiment

I have this gorgeous leather cream-colored Coach purse that I love! I bought it two years ago when I was pregnant with my son as my "mom" purse. You know the kind with all the pockets, big enough to fit your house all while looking stylish.

This purse has lived. It has suffered sippy cup spills, cheerio explosions, and has handled being thrown on the ground, stepped on, spit-up on, the works.

The problem is that after all of this living, the purse looked like it has seen better days. It was dingy and not as pretty as it was 2 years ago.

My husband is constantly telling me to get a new purse, but she's my friend. We've been through so much together. I can't just toss her aside. Plus her replacement would be expensive and there is NO COACH in France!! {I know you are all gasping out loud now}.

So, I needed a way to revive my friend. I searched the internet and came across this lovely blog from La Mom {who also happens to be an American in France} where she spills the secret given to her by a vendor at Hermes:  Nivea Lotion.

Surely, it it's good enough for a Hermes bag, it's good enough for my little Coach.  

Last week during our weekly shopping trip, I made sure to pick up a bottle of the lotion.  My husband scoffed at me.

"Why do you need that?"

 "To clean my purse"

"Just buy a new purse"

"A new purse will cost $500 and this lotion only costs 4.57€"

He was not convinced.  I have to admit that I wasn't either.  I was about to slather lotion all over my favorite purse. 

Later that night I prepared for what could have been the worst moment of my life.  I cleaned out my purse {which it desperately needed} and took the cotton pads and set it next to the lotion.

I said a little prayer and began rubbing the lotion in with the cotton.  My purse was getting cleaner, I could tell by the black cotton pads I was throwing away.  It wasn't oily, like I thought it would be, in fact the purse was quite dry.

I took me about 30 minutes to do the entire purse and about a bazillion cotton pads.  There were some signs of aging that even Nivea couldn't handle, but overall the purse looked much better. 

I hung it back up and called it a night. 

The next morning, my purse was so soft and looked even better than it did after the initial cleaning as if the leather soaked up all the lotion.  I wish I had known about the secret earlier, I'm sure my purse would be in much better shape right now.

While I know that I still need a new purse, at least this has given it a little bit longer life.  My next purse will definitely get the Nivea treatment right from the get-go.

{I was not compensated for this post.  I foolishly decided to rub lotion on my leather purse all on my own}
Pin It

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

All I will say (other than great tip!) is...does your husband KNOW how lucky he is????!!!!!

Sylvia C. Hall said...

oooo, that is a great tip... And, I'm with her, ^^^
i would have a new purse in my hands asap! (but, i'm a purse gal, what can I say!)
;)

XO,
Sylvia

Ksam said...

Thanks for the tip!! And I have a favorite everyday purse that was getting worn out too...they unfortunately didn't make that model anymore, and I kept looking for a new one, but couldn't find any that fit the bill. So I spent hours scouring ebay and other vente sites until I found someone who was selling the exact same purse. Don't know what I'm going to do when this one wears out though!!

PS. I think you can buy coach purses at Gallerie Lafeyette (or maybe it was Printemps??)

Weekday Solo Mommy said...

Such a cool tip- way easier than buying a new purse each time kid stuff makes one go south....Your husband should be thanking your friend!

Katherines Corner said...

What a great tip!!! Thank you for sharing. Hugs!

Shellsea said...

I gasped at the no Coach in France part in all honesty! Is it an American brand? I don't know much! I might have to try that on a leather purse. Not using any since the baby.

Shell said...

Wow, who would have guessed that would work??? Awesome!

Jessica said...

I'm so glad to hear that your purse was okay after the lotion treatment. Good to know that it works. I love Coach purses too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...