Color me happy

Like I mentioned yesterday, Nathan and I are home for the entire week.  The daycare has closed for summer vacation which leaves Cornel and I taking time off work to stay home with Nathan.

I have to be completely honest and tell you that this idea terrified me.  I love my son and always wish I had more time to spend with him, but the idea of ALL day with him, whatever would we do.  The daycare has so many activities - an art room, a water room, a play room, a dress up room and even puppets.  Plenty of things for Nathan to do while we have limited resources at home.

While I contemplated sitting him in front of the TV all day, I knew that wouldn't keep him entertained - at least not ALL day!  And so, I had to come up with things for the two of us to do.

He loves to read and sing and dance, but after 10 minutes with his books he is over it and it's on to the next thing.

We've been working on colors and he loves to point out the colors that he knows, so I knew I had to do some art and color related activities.

I took out his crayons and some paper and we worked on letting Nathan explore his artistic abilities (which he hopefully inherited from his father).

He loves to line up all his colors before we begin and once he starts I always ask him to use on color in particular.  He'll usually repeat it, squeal in delight and clap if he gets it right and attack the paper on the desk.


We still struggle pronouncing orange and purple, but we're getting there.  Sadly, sometimes the color gets off the paper and ends up on the walls, the rugs or even the hardwood floors, but all for the sake of learning right?  I've also started cutting out animals that we read about and having him color those - yesterday was papillon {butterfly}!


While I still feel like a slacker mom, at least I have found something that keeps us occupied for at least a 1/2 hour!  If only I could trust him with the finger paints!



Mama’s Losin’ It


Submitted as part of Mama Kat's writing workshop.

Let's BEE Friends
Pin It

19 comments:

Elle The Heiress said...

It is so hard keeping a toddler entertained all day. We definitely watch more TV than we should. =/

I was wondering, what language do you speak most at home?

Jessica said...

Oh I would stay far away from finger paints! Such sweet pictures as always.

Morgan said...

It's amazing how busy they can be ... it's go, go, go all day long!

Visiting from Mama Kat's :)

Alison@Mama Wants This said...

So fun!! My toddler loves drawing. I got some Crayola markers which he loves, but they're pretty messy!

Jen said...

Hahaha! Never trust kids with finger paints ;)
Hope you're feeling better and enjoying your week "off".

Arnebya said...

Ha! Trust used in a sentence about a toddler. Now THAT is funny. I'm w/Jen...nevvvvvvvvvver trust them with the finger paints. And your week off sounds more like a week on but I envy you nonetheless.

Kim said...

I am so looking forward to when I can do activities like that with Jacob. Right now I introduce new toys, and his only criteria for if he likes it or not, is how much fun it is to chew on...
We did go to "Mother Goose on the Loose" at the public library today. So much fun (and all in ENGLISH)! I am loving being back in the US!!!

Jackie said...

I love the idea of doing more art w/my kids, but usually the actual act of doing it scares me away. The artful parent blog is fabulous for ideas by the way, if you're looking.

Monica and Whitney said...

I love those big crayons! SO much easier for them to hold.

Monica @ Ask the Duplex

mom2kiddos said...

Haha...the thought of a whole day with my kids also terrified me once before. Now I'm over that. Kids his age love water. I usually fill up a tub of water with bubbles and let them have fun in the tub with a few bottles to play with. It should keep him occupied for another 1/2 hour. Keep a watchful eye on him though.

Hungrigyrl said...

Aww, he's so cute!! My kids love coloring too, I like the big crayons you have, I be they don't break that easily! Do you guys have play-doh? that definitely can occupy a child of his age for quite a bit. Have fun!

Janie said...

I hear ya, Barbara! Scribbles on walls, floors, sheets, bathtub! Arrggh! But yeah all for the sake of learning and art...
By the way, we've been singing "Ah! Les Jolis Papillons" in my daughters kindermusik class :)

Seasoned Air Force Spouse said...

Save those finer paints!! Maybe a few more years.
I love the toddler attention span.

Following from Let's Bee Friends. :-)

deborah-bryan.com said...

Every time I try to plan activities with my son (who's approaching two), he categorically ignores me and does things that . . . I can't quite believe take so much time. Usually the responsibility is split between me and his dad, but this weekend, it's all me! And great-grandma. And our nearby friends. And the aquarium. OK, mostly me. ;)

How's it turned out since?

Bees With Honey said...

It's not easy keeping toddlers entertained all day. Daycares and preschools have it so much easier. Looks like you had fun together. My 3 year old has finally learned all of her colours. I love the way she says purple ... poh-ple.

Amanda said...

Sweet!

We like chalk for art projects too, because it dusts right off the furniture! Have you thought about getting him an easel? He appears to be a budding artiste! (For Lilah, we were given one that folds up for travel, but it's perfect for our tiny appartment in the city.)

Karen said...

Anything that you think might not stay on the table, take outside. While my kidlets paint indoors, I banned playdough to outside only because we have carpeting everywhere and that stuff gets stuck in there. And bubbles, they entertain longer that you have breath! :>

Jessica said...

I'm home with my kids all day long. The activities I provide for them...chores. And lots of them. Although my youngest doesn't really do them like I want her too.

Jeanine Byers Hoag said...

He is so adorable!! I know what you mean about the thought of how to fill a whole day, especially when my son was younger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...