That's Hot

And now I'm not trying to be like Paris Hilton, I'm literally talking about the temperature outside.  I know, I complained about how cold it was in June and now I'm going to complain about how hot it is in June.

I know it's strange to have me complain about the weather considering I have spent the better part of my life in Arizona (but it's a dry heat)! However, in all of the years that I lived in Arizona I was blessed to have access to one of modern technology's best inventions: Air Conditioning!

I never realized how much I took THAT for granted. My house had central air and even when it was over 100 outside my house was always a cool 72; I always had the air on in my car, ALWAYS, even as I rode to work at 6 am; and of course my office building had a great A/C that would force you to even think you were "chilly" in the middle of winter.

It seems that this marvel of modern technology, however, has yet to make its way across the ocean.  There are very few buildings in France that have any type of air conditioning system at all!  There is no escape from the heat.  Not the shopping mall, not the train stations, not the office buildings not even your own apartment building!  You could always go to the supermarket and stick your head in the freezer section, but they tend to frown on that.

With that said, there are very few days of the year where it gets hot enough to actually complain about it. And this is one of the very reasons that most people flee the country during the month of August.  But, on those few days when it is hot enough to complain...well  I like to indulge.

My office building today, which lucky for me is covered in windows for that true "oven" effect was over 90 degrees INSIDE!  Ah...the joys of mother nature. Nothing says "enjoyable work environment" than sweating next to your colleagues.

Luckily we don't have to suffer so much at home.  We have this little contraption set up in our apartment.


We call it an air conditioner, but really it's more like a glorified fan.  Isn't she attractive and discrete?  Of course, she only manages to cool the 5 square foot perimeter near her, so the rest of the house still feels like a sauna.

So while there are days that I love living and working abroad, today was one of those days where I wonder what the heck we are doing here?  One of those days where I long for sitting in a nice air-conditioned office sipping on a Starbucks Frappuccino!  A girl can dream can't she?

But in good news, since the sun finally came out, we enjoyed an entire Saturday outdoors and had the best time!  Especially Nathan, who was being a complete ham all day long.


Pin It

8 comments:

Shell said...

No air conditioning????? Oh, you poor thing! Heat makes me super cranky!

Jen said...

Holy crap, I can't imagine not having the AC, and not for me, but for my husband, who might be the biggest complainer about the heat! My life would be miserable ;)

Kimberly said...

Wow! We don't use our central air often, but I can't imagine not having it now! I grew up without it and I remember some pretty awful days :)

Michelle said...

Oh, girl, I hear ya. Although I don't really like air conditioning, I do long for it in August! Stay cool, or at least flee to elsewhere!

Katharine said...

Wow, thanks for the perspective. My office mates hate the air conditioning in my building so its always air on air off air on air off...and almost always at a steady 80 degrees. At least we can come home and turn the air on. Good luck!

Marcy said...

My husband likes it very cool, and I complain a lot that the AC is too cold, but I know I really do love it and appreciate it. It's awful especially to be hot at work. I hope it cools off for you soon.

Elle The Heiress said...

I would die. I do not handle heat well at all.

Jessica said...

I would be miserable at work with no A/C. I am very used to having a way to cool the house down. Don't know what I would do without it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...