Raspberry Scones

My fascination with scones probably began during my short stint living in the UK.  I mean I had eaten scones before (how can you escape Starbucks without eating one or two), but I had never truly tasted a scone before living in the UK.

You see, the British have truly perfected this pasty.  There is nothing better at tea time than a nice warm scone with whipped butter or english cream.

2008 - Enjoying English tea in York (see the scones on the second tier with butter and jam?)

Since I knew that I wanted to invite people over on Sunday for coffee, it was a no brainer that I wanted to try and make scones of my own.  I scoured the internet searching for the perfect recipe, except all the ones I found were for blueberry and cranberry scones.  Neither of which I had readily available here, and so I knew I would have to mix and match my own recipe.

And so working with bits and pieces of various recipes I decided to create my own raspberry scone recipe.  I was very nervous since I had many people who have tried real British scones and would definitely tell me if they were a FAIL.

I measured and mixed and cut the cute little triangles.  It was all much simpler than I had imagined, plus they looked delicious!  

It definitely helps if you can serve them on a tiered holder...a la English tea style.

They were a hit and people finished them off entirely!  For such an easy recipe this is definitely something to try again.

Ingredients:

2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
2 tablespoons of sugar
6 tablespoons of butter (cold and cut in chunks)
1 1/4 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup of fresh raspberries

Directions:

Pre-heat the oven to 400℉

Sift together all dry ingredients and then cut in the cold butter until the mixture looks like crumbs.

Add the cream and mix together to incorporate ingredients.

Carefully mix in the raspberries. {I wasn't gentle enough with them and some of them were crushed in the process}

Pour the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a rectangle.

Cut the dough in half lengthwise and then begin to cut out triangles. 

Shake off the excess flour and place on a cookie sheet.  Then brush the tops with a little bit of extra cream and bake for 10-12 minutes until the scones are light brown.

For the full English effect, eat them with jam, butter or whipped cream.



Pin It

8 comments:

Shell said...

Those look delicious!

Sara said...

Those look delicious!!

Sarah said...

Mmm...those look delicious!

Being a half Brit, I have had the pleasure of enjoying some scones and tea. Two words: clotted cream. Yum!

Katharine said...

They good great! Goo job!

Helene said...

They look so pretty and delicious!!! I love how you placed raspberries among the scones as an edible decoration!

Kim said...

You have no idea how impressed I am. Downright in awe! And I love that thing you have them in. three tiered tray?

tracy@sellabitmum said...

YUM! I love scones.

Jessica said...

I love scones with Devonshire cream. Delicious. These raspberry ones sound good too. I might have to try and make them one day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...