Pasta Carbonara

Ever since Cornel & I have been together, we've averaged about one trip to Italy a year.  {We're spoiled, I know}!



About once a trip {if not more} Cornel always orders Pasta Carbonara.  I remember asking once what the sauce was made of and heard "raw egg"; no thanks.  Although I should say that the heat of the pasta cooks the egg, so technically it is just an egg sauce.


So, last week when I asked Cornel what he would like to eat in order to plan my weekly "menu" he responded with "pasta carbonara".

I'm always up for a challenge, so I went searching for recipes and came across this one.

I had all of the ingredients, but I wasn't convinced.  So of course I had to tweak it a little until I came up with my own creation.  Instead of adding pasta water (which always seems icky to me) I added 1/2 cup of cream. {So not diet friendly}!

I have to admit that adding the raw egg to the sauce is more difficult than I thought it would be.  I wasn't fast enough in my mixing skills and there were tiny lumps of scrambled egg.  Oops.  Luckily it was only a few lumps since I seemed to get the hang of it after a couple of seconds.  Luckily Cornel didn't mind.

When we sat down for dinner, I was surprised that I actually liked the way it tasted.  I don't know why I had been so resistant before.  Raw egg and all.  I did ask Cornel what his opinion was compared to the "authentic" recipe and he did say that the sauce was a little to "liquidy".  So next time we will try 1/4 cup of cream and work from there.

This will definitely make another appearance on our dinner table!

Pin It

4 comments:

Katie Vyktoriah said...

The first time I heard of carbonara was when my ex-husband and I first went out to dinner together. I took him to an Italian restaurant in the States, and was trying to impress him with how much a woman of the world I was. He had come to visit from the UK, and I had never been out of the US. He had travelled all over Europe, and was 4 years older than my 19 years.

Anyway, he suggested we have "a nice carbonara." As I'd never heard of it before, I naively assumed that he was ordering wine, so I quickly stopped him and said, "Sorry. But I'm not old enough for that."

He looked at me like I was insane and said, "How old do you have to be to have carbonara??"

I responded, "Well, in the US, you must be 21. It's the law...." I thought it odd he didn't realise that. Especially as I'd taken him to a beer distributor the night before and they'd made me wait outside while he bought the hooch.

Suddenly, he started laughing at me, and I cottoned on that maybe carbonara wasn't wine after all...

He finally explained what it really was, and I felt like a complete idiot. But luckily he was made to feel pretty stupid when he tried to order it and the waiter had never heard of it either. ;)

When I eventually tried it (after I'd moved to the UK), it turned out I didn't even like it.

Sara said...

Sounds yummy! I wouldn't have ever known that raw egg was in it either...interesting!

Barbara said...

@Katie - that story seriously just cracked me up!

va_grown said...

Wow--you've come out of your food rut with a bang! Glad menu planning is working out for ya! (Next time my hubby complains that dinner's not exciting, I'll have to tell him to take me to Italy for inspiration!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...