Food Rut

I usually take great pride (well, pride) in cooking for my family.  Maybe not every night, but most nights at least also adding in a baby friendly meals for Nathan.  Lately though, I can't seem to get it together.  I mean for the past week we've been eating some sort of chicken with rice.

Chicken Stir-fry - with rice
White Wine Chicken - with rice
Garlic Chicken Pomodoro - with pasta (my *big* adventure day)

I really, really need to snap out of it!  I used to be so creative, now I'm making all of the same things over and over again.

The worst part is that now cooking has become a "chore" to me!  I really need some new recipes to {JAZZ} up our dinners.

I have been scouring the internet trying to find recipes to try and so far I have a couple of prospects.  Now if only I could find the motivation.

After getting home around 7 from work/daycare, the last thing I want to do is cook a meal that takes a long time.  Especially since I don't eat after 8PM {it's not a weight thing but a sleep thing}.

If only I could find the "helpers" here, you know the ones, tuna & chicken.  They could schnazz it up around here.

Maybe this weekend I'll get creative, but as for dinner tonight we had leftovers...chicken stir-fry with rice.

How do you stay motivated to cook?  Or better yet, what are some of your favorite recipes.
Pin It

4 comments:

mryrecon said...

Do you have a crock pot? It is your best friend. We made the Tex Mex calzones from Cooking Light last night. You could make everything ahead of time and then "stuff" the calzones when you arrive home.

Katie Jones said...

I agree with the Crock Pot comment, you can even get recipe books for TONS of things to cook in that thing!

Oh- and I didnt nonrev with a baby. Do you think I'm crazy?! :)

va_grown said...

I love kraftfoods.com to get started when I'm in a rut because most of them are quick and easy to get you going again. Using a meal plan is really the only way I can keep a-hold of the cooking thing. I have to know what I'm making AND that I have everything I need for it when I walk in the door. If I have to think about anything cooking related after working all day, we end up with pizza or chicken nuggets. :)

I also like to cook ahead. Not a month ahead (I'm not THAT good!), just a little bit ahead. When you cook chicken for stir-fry, cook double and stick it in the freezer or fridge to make chicken pot pie later in the week or first thing next week. Brown 2 lbs of hamburger--one for tacos tonight and one for spaghetti later in the week.

Michelle said...

I *try* to do a monthly meal plan. I also try to have a certain food on a certain night of the week. It's boring but it helps with the planning aspect...it's easier to come up with 4 pastas, 4 pizzas, 4 soups, 4 stews or chowders, 4 "meat and potatoes" dishes, and so on than it is to look at the month and just fill in the blanks.

Have you seen my recipe blog? Most of the recipes are doable even overseas. I also usually make it a goal to try 2 new recipes a month. And I try to do things like chop veggies or chicken for tonight's meal and tomorrow's at the same time. Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...