Carb Therapy

As a working mom there are some days that make you sit back and question if it is all worth it.  Today was one of those days.

I had a meeting this afternoon to "meet" my new boss.  I had to go into a meeting and recount my entire life story and in French nonetheless.  I start with the fact that I transferred from the States and have been here for two years...yadda yadda yadda.  Before I get to finish my speech, he blurts out "ah, you're the one that is here because of your husband."

Really?  Is this what my professional career has amounted to?

No matter what I do, I'm always going to be the "wife" they had to find a job for because her husband was here.  The drawbacks to working for the same company I guess.

I would think that I would be able to get recognition for my abilities, my talents or capabilities.  But sadly, at my office, I'm my husband's wife.

So, feeling down after work we stopped by our favorite boulangerie, Maison Vacher.  Afterall, is there anything better than drowning your sorrows in carbs?  I think not.  And I find that fresh bread (much like wine) can make any day better!  They even gave Nathan his own beignet (donut).

Our day was looking up!  Nathan loves Maison Vacher. It doesn't hurt that the girls behind the counter are always telling him how cute he is.  We came home and finished our carbs in peace.



{the chubby shirt was pure coincidence}

Now that I'm coming down from my "carb" induced coma, I finally have time to reflect and be thankful. Even though the day started out a bit crappy, it definitely perked up after the office.

So this week, I'm thankful for:

{1.  Kindness of Strangers} The simple act of giving Nathan a small beignet brightened up our day.  Not because it was free {although it helped} but because it was just a random act of kindness.  They didn't have to do anything for us but give us our bread.  Just that little extra bit of attention makes me want to go back every single time.  Especially in a country where service is so underrated.

{2.  A job}  As I was so subtly reminded, I didn't have to be given the opportunity to work here and next to my husband {could you imagine living in different countries?}.  I could have been here unemployed which would have made our lives a little bit harder or we would have had to make due with an long distance marriage for a while.  So I'm thankful that we were able to be together.  Even if I have to be reminded of it daily.

{3.  Kisses & Cuddles}  I don't know what is going on with Nathan these days but he loves to give kisses and hugs!  Can this stage last a little bit longer please?

{4.  Daycare}  This is a crazy thing to be thankful for, I know.  This morning when we dropped off Nathan, he let go of our hands and made his way over to his friends.  He didn't even look back.  While it makes me a little bit sad, I'm glad that we are raising such an independent and social boy.  I'm glad that he has a place to go to grow & learn.

{5.  Carbs} I'm thankful for breads, pastas, rice and all around carb goodness!  'Nuff said!

Footprints in the Sand

Pin It

2 comments:

Natalia Simmons said...

I think it is awesome that you get to work. I am here with my husband and can't work because of being American and I don't have my carte de sejour. So I am a stay at home mom. I do love it, and it keeps me busy, I sometimes long for something of my own. And when my second goes to school, I am going to have to find something, because that would be downright boring!!

va_grown said...

I'm sorry I wasn't able to keep up with your blog while I was out of town, but please know that you were in my thoughts and prayers! I hope things are looking up for you.

I think that list is great. Those who stay home might not understand #4, but I definitely do! It's such an amazing relief to know that your little one is in a good place and happy while you're at work. Part of you hopes they miss you, but most of you is so thankful they're happy and healthy when you can't be there. Our home daycare provider (who is so much more than just a "babysitter"!) is such a blessing to us too!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...