The Party

Nathan's birthday party was amazing!  Our house was filled with so many friends both old and new.  Sometimes living so far away from family is always hard and I didn't want Nathan to suffer because of our decisions.  I was afraid that celebrating his first birthday overseas would be hard, harder for me obviously, but hard.  I have to say that I have never been happier to be wrong!

Like I said before, I worked my tail off for the party.  I wanted to have the {Mod Monkey} theme, but couldn't find anything like it here in France.  My only option was to try and make things myself.  And so, about a week before the party my home became overrun with blue and yellow circles.  I made both a "Happy Birthday" banner and a little sign for his highchair.  I also made all of his cupcake picks which had a variety of different sayings.  The house was decorated in all things monkey (and a couple of jungle animals)!

We gave away monkey masks to the kids and the goodie bags were filled with homemade sugar cookies (circles with blue frosting of course).  Above the food buffet table I put up a picture banner on green satin ribbon.  I put up all the pictures of Nathan from 1 - 11 months!  I think it was a nice detail and I think people really enjoyed looking at it. 


And speaking of the buffet, I had all of the food lined up on the bar of our open kitchen (or American Kitchen as they call it hear).  I made literally a {TON} of food, but sadly in all the commotion I forgot to take a picture of it all!  Go figure.  I only have the aftermath of the buffet.  I also had put framed pictures of Cornel and I on our first birthday's on the buffet table.

The appetizers included pigs in a blanket, a baked brie, different kinds of raw ham, and vegetable crudites.  For lunch I made ham and cheese sliders with a b├ęchamel sauce on homemade sesame buns, a green salad and a Romanian potato salad.  The deserts included homemade birthday cupcakes with a vanilla buttercream {no cake mixes for this girl}  on a silver cupcake tower, and Paula Deen's banana pudding (can I just tell you this recipe is DELICIOUS - not healthy but DELICIOUS)!  The drink table was also filled with various wines, sodas and a couple of frosty beverages!  Here is a close-up of the cupcakes...


What is a birthday party without presents?  Nathan had a great time opening the presents and he got some great loot!  I am so blessed to have such great friends, they really went above and beyond with the presents!

After presents of course it was time for {CAKE}!  Nathan got his very own smash cake.  At first he was a little hesitant and wasn't quite sure what to do with it.  The first thing he did was go for the lit candle.  After I blew out the candle for him I left him alone to destroy the cake.  

He didn't want to touch it.  I was shocked since he usually has no problem with anything that is put in front of him. After a while, and after a few rounds of "Happy Birthday" he started going to town!  He was loving it by the end.  He even tried to feed his daddy a few pieces! 


After a quick bath it was back to the fun, and back to playing with all of his new toys!


Needless to say that I was exhausted after the party.  Nathan didn't want to nap with all of the excitement and he finally ended up passing out at around 6:30 and didn't wake up until 7 the next morning!  

Now that it is Thursday things are finally starting to get back to normal.  All of the wrapping paper has been thrown out and there are only a few boxes that still need to go.  The picture banner is still up and I'm sure I'll get around to taking it down by the end of the week.

And because it is Thursday I'm so thankful for such a great day and such a happy and healthy baby!  I'm also thankful for all of the amazing people who came to celebrate with us, it made it so much more special!!
McGlothin Family Nest

Pin It

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Go you little Suzie homemaker!!! I am super impressed!!

Sara said...

Looks like a fabulous party!! Great decor!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...