Nostalgia

I have to admit that it makes me a little sad when I see that all of my friends back in the states are getting ready for Thanksgiving and here I sit on just a regular old Wednesday night knowing that I have to get up and go to work tomorrow.

Thanksgiving used to be one of my favorite holidays.  Not so much because of the giving thanks bit (shouldn't we be thankful year round?), but because it is a holiday that completely revolves around eating and shopping!  What's not to love?  As an added bonus you get two days off of work to recover from the turkey coma = perfect holiday!

Growing up my family never really celebrated Thanksgiving since Christmas was our BIG holiday.  I didn't really start celebrating until I left Arizona.  Not wanting to spend money on a plane ticket I would usually just drive down to Atlanta.  this is when I truly began to enjoy all of the great things about Thanksgiving.

{1.  Food, food, food and oh so much more food!}


We used to buy the pre-made turkey and I would go crazy making sides:  stuffing, twice baked mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, the works!



Our first Thanksgiving in Europe I couldn't find a whole turkey so I had to buy the pieces and put it all together.  It worked.  Even in my teeny tiny French kitchen!


{2.  Shopping!}


I was one of these people that LOVED Black Friday.  I don't just mean love, I mean LOVED!  I always use to set up a plan to buy everyone Christmas presents but ended up buying more things for myself than for anyone else!  Go figure.

I miss the midnight madness at the Outlets.  Only there could you see such doozies... (in the effort of full disclosure, this picture is saved on my computer as "giant green ass" - just to get you into the grinchy Christmas spirit)


It wasn't just about the shopping but about literally about the madness that ensures.  The chaos created by shopping never ceases to amaze me!  It helps when you are on a drunk on turkey and sleep deprived!
Thanksgiving 2008

{3.  Friends & Family!}

Because after-all, Thanksgiving without friends or family is just a turkey dinner!

{4.  Did I mention the food?}

Let us not forget about the 4 days of leftovers that you get to enjoy.  Cold stuffing - yum...turkey sandwiches - yum, mashed potatoes - yum!  There is no end to how much I love Thanksgiving food and leftovers!  And I haven't even talked about the desserts!  

I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic on Thanksgiving pasts.  I'm a little sad that we don't make more of an effort to celebrate Thanksgiving while here in Europe.  We celebrated in 2008 with a nice trip to Paris & Barcelona. Last year since we had Nathan it would have been nearly impossible to celebrate Thanksgiving, and this year....well this year I'm just lazy.  

I can't wait until we are back in the States where I will get to enjoy Thanksgiving the way it was meant to be enjoyed!  Who knows maybe this weekend I will cave and make up some Thanksgiving-y food just for the fun of it!  I will be thinking of all my amazing friends and family back in the States living it up this weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Pin It

1 comment:

Stacey said...

LOVE the giant green a**;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...