Soup on a cold day

Here's a little tidbit you might not know about me, when I was 19 I started working at TGI Fridays.  We're talking pieces of flair and all!  It wasn't lucrative work, but for a college kid it was a great gig.  The hours were flexible and best of all you got to eat cheap food.  Granted it wasn't figure friendly as anyone who knew me back then could tell you.

In any case - one of my absolutely favorite things at TGI Fridays was their soups especially the brocoli and cheese (Broc cup)!  Yum!  I hadn't thought about that soup in years until I came across this brocoli and cheese soup recipe at Annie's Eats.  Coincidentally this has become one of my new favorite sites for new recipes to try.

It looked so easy, and the picture looked so yummy!

Photo Credit:  Annies-Eats.com


Since Fall is in full effect here in France (sadly - summer never truly made an appearance) it is now time for warm sweaters and hot soup.  And so last night armed with a bunch of fresh brocoli (one of my favorite things in France is all the fresh veggies) I set out to make this soup.

I followed the directions almost to the letter - until it came time for the cheese sauce.  While a lot can be said about just a normal cheese sauce - I always like to make mine just a little bit different.  This is why instead of using 2 cups of milk, I only added 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup of white wine!  Seriously the flavor upgrade is A.MAZ.ING!  I also added just a tiny little bit of grated nutmeg since it is so yummy in any cheese sauce.

It was super quick and we ate it warm with some fresh baked French bread!  Even Cornel finished a bowl - which is saying alot since he doesn't like soup!  I will definitely try to make this again now that the cold weather has decided to stay for good!
Pin It

3 comments:

Kim said...

Yum! I have been on a soup kick lately too, so this is definitely one that I will have to try. And it goes without saying that some bread from Maison Vacher will definitely be right beside my bowl!

Elle The Heiress said...

I love soup & I'm so happy that it's soup weather again! (We had a terribly hot summer.) Potato soup is my favorite. Yummm

Quiana said...

When I lived in Boston I used to get TGIF's broccoli cheese soup all the time! It's SO good =) I'll definitely have to try the recipe you posted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...