Single Mommyhood

Cornel usually has to travel for work but for the past four months his travels plans have fallen through (much to my happiness).  Sadly, my luck ran out this week and Cornel is now on a business trip to the UK until next Thursday.  This means that for the next 8 glorious days I am officially a single mom = chaos!

It always seems that our life (well mine anyway) seems to spiral out of control the minute Cornel gets in the taxi to the airport and this morning was no different. 

I don't drive in France (it's a long story involving me breaking a car...not crashing...breaking) so when I'm a single mommy this means taking the bus and a tram in order to get to work/daycare.  I HATE taking the bus - not so much because it's a bus (although partly - because I'm prissy and spoiled) but because I hate having to live around the bus schedule.  I feel like I'm always rushing to make sure I get to the bus stop on time so that I don't have to sit for 15 minutes waiting for the next one.  This means a lot of logistical preparation, including waking up an hour earlier than normal to make sure I give myself some "bumper room".

By 7:10 I started putting on Nathan's shoes, scarf, hat and big down jacket (it's freezing here).  He HATED every second of it.  He started screaming and crying hysterically.  Then I realized I needed to take diapers to the daycare so I left him sitting on the rug fully clothed while I rushed back to his room.  I picked up the baby - who is still crying hysterically when I realized that I might need change for tickets.  So I set Nathan back down and proceed to search my purse for change and/or tickets.

At this point- I too have my coat on and am overheating I can only imagine how Nathan must have felt.  I spill out the contents of my purse and wonder why I have so much crap in my purse. 

{I make a mental note to clean it soon!} 

At this point, Nathan has toppled over on his back and is kicking, screaming and crying at the top of his lungs and he can't sit up because of all the layers.  PARENTING FAIL.

I'm stressed and sweating at this point.  Finally I find a book of tickets and jam everything back in purse. 

I then proceed to grab my purse, a bag full of diapers, a blanket for the walk to the bus stop and somehow try to pick up the baby.  Let me just say that circus jugglers don't have anything on me!

I then proceed to go down FOUR flights of stairs.  I seriously thought I was going to die.  I cursed for choosing to live in a building without an elevator.

We finally got to the car (where we keep the stroller).  I put Nathan in the back seat while I took out the stroller and got myself situated.  I was hot, sticky and misearble.  At this point Nathan's fit had subsided I think because he felt sorry for me.  I considered throwing in the towel and say "screw work" and stay home.  This however, would have meant going back UP the stairs and so work was the better choice.

You know it's a bad start when going to work is the best option in your day.  I finally got Nathan in the stroller and got him bundled up with his blanket and gloves.  We made it to the bus stop just in time for the 7:35 bus.  Luckily the schools are on break this week so the bus was relatively empty as was the tram.  This made my morning commute much easier. 

By the time we got to the crèche Nathan was so happy to be inside that he crawled to his friends and waved "bye-bye" to me.  At 11 months he already can't wait to get rid of me.  The girl at the daycare laughed at me - this is nothing new.  I was heartbroken.

When I finally got to work I felt like I had just ran in a marathon.  I can't believe that this is only day 1...I have 7 more days like this!  God help me!
Pin It

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Quite the orderl these babies are aren't they! I hope the rest of Cornel's absence is much easier for you :) (((hugs)))

Elle The Heiress said...

I totally feel your pain and I wish I could tell you it gets better, but it doesn't. My hubsy took a job in January that required him to work out of state and only visit us one or two weekends a month. At first I was fine with it, things were going great. But as it went on through the months I started wearing down and getting tired. I'm not going to lie, it's so hard that sometimes I just sit on the playroom floor and cry all morning.

Katie Jones said...

Girl, I feel you on the single mama thing. At least we are in this together! My girl, Ellie, is just a couple months older than Nathan and it has already gotten easier! Okay maybe not easier, but more fun! She can communicate better with me which makes the days go by faster : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...