Biscotti Cookies



A couple of weeks ago one of my colleagues brought in these delicious biscotti cookies that his wife had made.  They were delicious and went perfectly with my 10 a.m. coffee.  I knew I had to give them a try so I was very excited when I got a hold of the recipe.

I am always scared when trying a French recipe.  For one the measurements are on the metric system so I have to whip out google and the handy converter.  Second almost all the ingredients are given in terms of weight.  I wonder where in the world all of these French people are keeping a scale in the kitchen. I refuse to have a scale anywhere in my home let alone the kitchen.  I would never ever cook if I had to weigh everything.  Sadly, even google can't really help me since one is a measure of volume and a conversion can't be done based on weight.  Sigh.

These biscotti cookies (croquants as they are called in French) where so good, however, that I bit the bullet and decided to give them a try.  I have a basic rule of thumb when converting French recipes which is grams = milliliters.  Okay so this is not at all scientific, but my measuring cup also has milliliters so I go with it and it hasn't really failed me yet.

So now, to make these delicious cookies.

Ingredients (complete with French translation):

1 cup of flour (220 grams)
6 tbs of sugar (75 grams of sugar)
2/3 cups of almonds or hazlenuts (100 grams)
1 tsp of baking powder
1 egg
vanilla (according to your liking I used 1 tbs)
1/4 cup of water (40 ml)

Toast almonds for 10 minutes in a 390℉ degree oven (200 ℃) tossing frequently.  Remove and let cool.  Turn oven down to 350℉ (180℃).

Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.  In a bowl mix all ingredients (it is easier by hand but be careful it's sticky)!

Form 3 logs on the cookie sheet.  (Don't panic if they are very runny and don't look right, they will firm up in the oven).

Bake for 20 minutes keeping an eye on the color.  Once they are golden brown remove from the oven and close the door.  Immediately cut the logs into slices (use an oven mit, they're HOT).

Place the slices flat (cut side up) on the lined baking sheet and put back in the oven for 10 minutes to dry.


These are so delicious dunked in coffee or simply all alone.  Since this recipe makes 40 cookies I sent Cornel to work with a full tupperware for fear of finishing them off myself.
Pin It

1 comment:

Sara said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...