One of those weeks

It has been a crazy week.  One of those weeks where you just wish you could start over!  And one of those weekends where I ask myself what the hell am I doing living in France.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we?  As you know Nathan got sick last Wednesday after only one week at the creche (daycare).  I never realized how unprepared I am to deal with medical situations in France.  I couldn't even explain to the ladies in daycare that he had a runny nose...obviously it is not "nez qui cours" (literally running nose) and so you rely on the ever handy hand gestures.  Maybe I should have asked one of the two year olds to translate for me.

Of course this wouldn't be the first time that I've made a fool out of myself with the French language.  If only because when I don't know the word in French I use the word in English and addd the fancy accent.  BIG FAIL!  Try explaining how you make your own baby food because you don't want it to have "preservatives" and then realizing the "preservatives" in French means condoms!  Ugh, if only that would have been the first time I've made that mistake!  I'm sure the ladies at the creche wonder how I can even function as a human being.

But daycare embarassement aside, as if my poor boy wasn't suffering enough, he was lucky enough to have an appointment with the eye doctor!  It is mandatory that a baby between the ages of 9 - 12 months see an eye doctor to make sure that there are no abnormalities.  Since Cornel's family has a history of bad eye sight we figured it was a good idea..  A good idea in theory.  We had scheduled the appointment 4 months ago and it is always very difficult to find an appointment - and so we took Nathan head cold and all!  What a complete DISASTER!  Nathan was not having it.  He was crying and moving, and the poor little guy had to have his eyes dialated!  As if that wasn't bad enough, we had to resort back to gestures with the nurses and doctors because again I couldn't deal with the terminology.  I am sure they couldn't wait to have us out of there - screaming infant and all!

Yesterday, however, was the "piece de resistance"!  Yesterday, Cornel had to go to Lyon to renew his passport.  Lyon is only two hours away so he decided to leave in the afternoon and I was supposed to pick up Nathan at daycare.  No problem.  No problem that is until I arrived at the daycare and couldn't find my keys which have the clicker thing to open the door. Panic sets in!  Then I remember that Cornel opened the door in the morning.  I call, he has my keys and he is still in Lyon!  Getting into the daycare was the least of my worries at that moment.  I picked up Nathan, got on the tram going nowhere.

We couldn't get into our house, so I wasn't exactly sure what my plan was.  We were, at least temporarily, what the french call SDF aka homeless!  I just about lost it when Cornel suggested the baby and I wait at the park until he got home with the keys!  Seriously?  Wait at the park for two hours until 8:30 at night.  What was I supposed to do?  Not to mention that since he started daycare I started traveling sans diaper bag since it only takes about 20 minutes to get home.  I had nothing.  We made a quick stop to the grocery store to buy food, diapers, etc.  I think I bought out the entire baby aisle.  Forty-two euros later we were on our way to our friend Sophie's house, who only lives about 5 minutes from our house.  She was kind enough to give us refuge for the evening until Cornel finally arrived with the keys.

So to say the least it has been one crazy week and I am so looking forward to just having one evening where I can sit and do nothing!  Luckily there is a light at the end of the tunnel and Nathan is feeling better every day.  Besides, it is so hard to get stressed out when you have this little face smiling back at you!

Pin It

1 comment:

Megan said...

oh, you poor thing! And poor baby! It's no fun when they are sick. Right now my baby, Caleb, has a cold too and nothing is making him happy! All he wants to do is cuddle, he doesn't even want to eat! And he's teething too, so that doesn't make it any easier! We have his 6 month checkup on Monday, so I'm praying all goes well.

Btw, I followed you here from the Tarr Pitt :) Just in case you were wondering who this stranger is :)

-Megan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...