It's not summer without Focaccia

Have you ever had a fresh tomato, mozzarella and basil sandwich on fresh focaccia bread?  You should it is absolutely delicious and one of my favorite summer time meals because it is not only light but also cool and refreshing.  On our last trip to the store we bought lots of fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, but there was just one thing missing - the focaccia.  Even though fresh baked bread is in abundance here, I haven't been able to find focaccia in the French bakeries (imagine that) and so there was only one solution - make my own!  Especially since I have endless amounts of yeast sitting in my cupboards.

I seriously have no idea what is wrong with me.  Living in France has turned me into a completely unrecognizable person - a person that cooks and bakes.  And we're not just talking out of a box baking or cooking but from SCRATCH.  Someone better get me back home soon before Cornel starts getting used to the "new" me!!

But back to the subject at hand, focaccia.  When I search (i.e., google) for recipes I always include the word easy.  Why?  Because frankly, I don't have the time or the patience to be dealing with a complicated recipe that has a million steps that take 3 hours, when an easy one can do the trick.  It may not be as "gourmet", but seriously who am I trying to impress?  Cornel is just grateful that I step foot in the kitchen so the expectations are always low.  If I should ever master the easy recipe, then maybe, just maybe, I would attempt a more difficult one.

And so by searching for an easy recipe, I came across this one, which not only claims to be easy - but the easiest!  We'll just see about that!!  I enlisted the help of Cornel because I thought it would be nice to spend some quality time in the kitchen.  And check out the finished product??

Can you believe how pretty it turned out (this is the part where you lie and tell me how wonderful and profession it turned out)?  I added basil on the top for a little extra flavor.



The verdict - yes allrecipes the recipe was easy (I haven't tried others to vouch if it is truly the easiest), but it was a little lacking in flavor.  The next time (and there will surely be a next time) I will add some salt to the batter (is it batter or dough?  I better brush up on the lingo) - because trust me it needs it!

The good news is that I won't spend another summer without this delicious treat!
Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...